Recommended Electronic Music Headphones?
Nov 17, 2011 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

massagitation

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of headphones that can really make techno amazing. I've looked around and found headphones that were amazing for rock and vocals etc., but not much on techno.

I'm not really on a budget - I just want to know the best headphones for electronic music.

Thanks!!

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 7
I would take a look into Ultrasones, Denons, and Beyerdynamics.  Depending on whether you're a basshead (and even more specific - sub vs. mid vs. upper bass), looking for clarity in mids, treble brightness, open vs. closed designs, etc.  Also, do you have or will consider buying an amp?  Do they need to be portable or isolating?  How important is comfort?  Reading up on some threads comparing the Ultrasone Pro 900 vs. Denon AH-D2000 vs. Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80-ohm would be a good start, for example.

I currently use the Ultrasone HFI-780 for electronic music and have ordered the Ultrasone Pro 900 as an upgrade.  They're renowned for electronic music in general, and almost perfectly match my requirements, but may or may not fit your specific needs.

Nov 18, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 7
I'll also recommend the Ultrasone HFI-780, excellent with electronic music and work well without a dedicated headphone amp. The Pro-900 is an upgrade but the heavier driver means you will need a dedicated headphone amp, they don't sound too great without one.

For less sound quality and more bass-thump consider a Sony XB500, pretty good with Dubstep!

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 7
High end: Audio-Technica AD2000 (note not bassy, but extremely fast and the "right" tonality for electronic)
More bassy: Ultrasone pro 900
Under $200: Ultrasone HFi 580/DJ1
Budget: Sony XB 500

Generally Ultrasones, Denons and the bassier Beyers are the recommended brands for electronic.

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #6 of 7
The Audeze LCD-2 and AKG K340 (bassy version, as there's more than 1 version) are the top bassy headphones that I've heard, if bass is a priority. Note that both headphones need appropriate amping to achieve high-quantity bass output (the K340 moreso, as it's 400 Ohms and more inefficient).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back