Recommended audio upgrade for gaming computer?
Jun 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #16 of 34
if your main priority is for the headphones the E10 will do.

The E7/E09k combo IS better but i dont think for you it is enough to warrant the upgrade given your circumstances.
Which just leaves.. Headphones.

Closed back and around ear is a bit difficult, Although i think perhaps something like the DT770 would do well. For gaming i would favour open 'phones due to greater soundstaging which opens up a whole world of possibilities. 
Such as
AKG x70x series (fairly comfy and very good for positional ques)
beyer DT990 (VERY comfy, incredibly fun sounding and very decent in terms of positional ques and otherwise)
Senn HD598 or PC360 (if you want a headset, its basically a HD595 with a mic stuck on) Both here are also very comforable, the HD598 are almost as good as the AKG's technically but more comfy, and the PC360 is almost as good as the HD598, and just as comfy, and has a mic.

Hope i have helped.

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #17 of 34
A USB external DAC (with amp) does not provide headphone surround sound, your just getting straight 2-channel stereo audio threw the external USB DAC.
Where is an internal add-on sound card can take 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound signal and process it into headphone surround sound.
If you use an external DAC with a S/PDIF optical or coaxial digital input, the computer's built in sound card can process surround sound before sending the digital audio signal (Thru S/PDIF) to an external DAC.

Motherboard's built in sound cards have been improving over the past few years.

You can also do hybrid, get an internal add-on sound card (Xonar DX, $70) and hook up any external headphone amplifier you like (Magni, $99)

Usually add-on sound cards and external DACs come with a better DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) chip then whatever is built in the motherboard.

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #18 of 34
ok, lets open up some more cans of worms... why do you think an open headset gives a broader spectrum? and what would you suggest for open headphones? and I do want surround sound for my headset (simulated or physical) so how should I approach this now? Should I get a DAC capable of surrond sound, a cheaper sound card that provides surround, or just simulate surround with my onboard sound chip?

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:
AKG x70x series (fairly comfy and very good for positional ques)
beyer DT990 (VERY comfy, incredibly fun sounding and very decent in terms of positional ques and otherwise)
Senn HD598 or PC360 (if you want a headset, its basically a HD595 with a mic stuck on) Both here are also very comforable, the HD598 are almost as good as the AKG's technically but more comfy, and the PC360 is almost as good as the HD598, and just as comfy, and has a mic.

alas to the surround sound question i don't have an answer, i stated recently i'm not great with soundcards etc.

open cans are known to give a more broad soundstage (think out of head experience) and that helps with gaming because the wider the soundstage the easier (generally) it is to trace footsteps or what-have-you, this is party because of the way air flows through a closed back and how sound waves bounce off the back of the closed 'phone. but there is a whole list of reasons.

Sadly a continual drawback on closed phones is that they are unable to reproduce the soundstage of a full sized open back, such as a HD800, and are thus, at the very top level, worse for gaming.

As regards to what open phones, any list selected earlier (which will be at the top of this post) would be a good choice dependent on what you value most.

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #20 of 34
I believe with open headphones, your ears are only dealing with an audio signal sent directly from the ear cup's diaphragm.
Where as with closed headphones, you ears also are having to deal with audio signals that are bouncing/reflecting off the inside of the ear cup.
(You can line the inside of a closed cup with damping material, but that adds weight).

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #21 of 34
Ok so if I got the ASUS Xonar DSX, would that take care of the DAC and I will just have to buy an Amp? or is it the other way around? or what? Cause to be honest guys the headphones are the biggest part of this buy, but i just want to make sure I have something adequate to use the full potential of my headphones.

Jun 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #22 of 34
if you buy said ASUS Xonar DSX you would only need to buy an amp, correct :)

Jun 19, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:
Ok so if I got the ASUS Xonar DSX, would that take care of the DAC and I will just have to buy an Amp? or is it the other way around? or what? Cause to be honest guys the headphones are the biggest part of this buy, but i just want to make sure I have something adequate to use the full potential of my headphones.

Newegg has a $10 mail in rebate for the Xonar DSX.
So yea, get the Xonar DSX and add any external headphone amplifier you like to it.

Jun 19, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #24 of 34
ok cool. So any other recommendations for an Amp then, other than the Fiio E9? Preferably something reasonably priced (say no more than $60). and what should I be looking at when considering a Headphone Amp? 

Jun 19, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #25 of 34
you should be looking at input impedance and power output at different impedances, say at 32, 100 and 300 ohms..

But that doesn't really matter until you know what headphones you are getting.

Match the amp to the headphone, not the other way round.

Jun 19, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:
ok cool. So any other recommendations for an Amp then, other than the Fiio E9? Preferably something reasonably priced (say no more than $60). and what should I be looking at when considering a Headphone Amp? 

PAV2V ($70) or Magni ($99).

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #27 of 34
Ok so I am going to give a list of headphones and what would you say would be the best and reasonably cost effective amp?

Senn HD 518
Senn HD 598

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Senn HD 515
Senn HD 439

oh and would you argue against a wireless headset?

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #28 of 34
Ok if gaming is your main concern and not music, I can confidently recommend the Audio Technica AD700s. The soundstage on them is epicly good imo, even compared to the twice as pricey headphones I've been trying lately.

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #29 of 34
ok ill look into those, and what Amp would you suggest? and what about the 600 and 500 series that are cheaper? are they worth it or should I upgrade to the 700x series or the 500 and 600 x respectively?

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #30 of 34
Never tried the lower ones, the AD700s are my first pair of legitimate headphones, but they are regularly recommend as great gaming cans for the price, I'm just driving mine off of an ASUS Xonar DG which works great for the price. Here's one disclaimer though, I wouldn't hesitate to spend more. I have had my AD700s and Xonar DG for about 3 months and love them but I'm already looking at blowing $500 on Sennheiser HD 600 or Audio Technica AD900x and a Schiit modi and magni

Users who are viewing this thread

Back