Recommended 2.1 system for listening to music under £200/$300 including amps etc. (Boston acoustics soundware xs experience would be appreciated)
Sep 2, 2012 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Etymoantick

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've spent a ridiculous amount of time searching for speakers to get for my computer and according to the forums, bookshelf speakers  and studio monitors far exceed your standard desktop speakers in terms of quality.

However, I have pretty limited space for placing the speakers on my desk and will have to lug them to and from university every term so I don't really have any option other than to go for some satellites and a isubwoofer. I'm not a massive bass-head but I would prefer a sub for watching movies and hosting parties (volume is also another requirement).

I've been changing my mind almost every day for the last few months but I now seem to be in a phase where I'm leaning towards a passive 2.1 system, the Boston Acoustics Soundware 2.1 based on a couple of decent reviews. I don't really need a receiver, just a cheap t-amp to keep costs down but I was a bit confused by the large range of size and cost with these things so would a $50 lepai amp outputting 50 watts per channel be safe if all the impedances and power ratings matched? 

If anybody has some useful suggestions which match the three requirements of small size, cost about £200 overall and volume loud enough to fill a loud room during a party, they would be very welcome.

Thanks for your time!

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 6
A 2.1 system in that price range will be compromise in terms of stereo imaging and range. 

But you already know this and due to size limitations you can't go with a pair of bookshelf speakers.

Due to the fact you need to lug stuff around maybe it would be simpler to just get a active 2.1 kit ?

I recently researched a lot of active 2.1 system as you I felt i don't have the space on my work desk for large speakers.

I checked out these  

Logitech
Bose
Edifier
Klipsch
Corsair

My criteria was to get a system that would be as close to "reference" speakers as possible , meaning they should be as neutral as possible and not color the sound to much.

Many of the above mentioned system do (corsair to some extent as well), Logitech and edifier is quite bass heavy and have a more suppressed midrange. Bose sound very "processed" some like it some hate it. (im of the latter opinion)

Corsair i disregarded quite quickly due to the fact the company are known for their memories etc. and not for their speakers. But after some more research they turned out to be the winner out of the above mentioned systems in terms of sound quality and power.

They cost less then £200 and easily rivals systems that cost more then twice the price (yes the edifiers and bose included) the satellites  are quite impressive,  but it's the sub that will blow you away (no pun intended) It easily the best sub in this price range by far. It doesn't choke, and it's surprisingly tight.

I mean i have had Canton and Yamaha subs that cost more then the whole SP2500 system performing less.

Now my impression of the Corsair is based mainly on listening to music (FLAC) 

So within your budget i would easily go with the Corsair SP2500. 

1. They sound amazing for a 2.1 system
  3. They are made to be played loud, they won't distort when you raise the volume level they simply play louder
  5. They sound clean without having a bass that overpowers everything
  7. They made quite well, and comes with a nice volume control.

Now they aren't perfect they still can't compete with a pair of good monitors, but for being a 2.1 system they are pretty darn good.

I had my system for 14 days before i returned it, my reason for returning it was that simply didn't want a 2.1 system i wanted a pair of good reference monitors so i simply made room on my desk. :)

Good luck!

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #3 of 6
That's great thanks, I was initially put off because of the huge subwoofer and the way they seem to be slammed by audiophiles everywhere but you seem to know your stuff so I might make the leap and buy them. I would like to know how well they perform at lower volumes (when i don't want to bother anybody).

Thanks for the quick and informative response again!

Sep 3, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 6
The subwoofer is quite large so if space on the floor is limited that can pose a problem. The sub is a 4th passband design, which makes it larger then regular bass port designs. 

Well not many audiophiles will recommend you a 2.1 system to begin, let alone from a company like corsair. :)

To make these speakers really sing you have to have them at a moderate volume, there however a DSP "night mode" that will change the crossover for the bass, basically it will turn it off.

I never been a fan of such modes on any system, as i prefer to use headphones instead. But the night mode does work very well for it's intended purpose (btw the Corsair volume control has a line in jack and a headphone jack very easily accessible) 

But again this is not a "boom boom" system the bass is NOT overpowering.

If possible try got them @ store with good return policy so you can return them if your not happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back