Recommendations
Jan 3, 2024 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Dolf

New Head-Fier
Hi all! New to the forum.

I'm by no means an audiophile - but I do appreciate good SQ - and I'm also a bass-head at heart.

Musical tastes: Metal (thrash & doom - so, slow, sludgy and down-tuned), Hip-Hop, Reggae (roots), Classical, Jazz, Blues, Urban R&B, Soul, Alternative & Indie, Electronica, Trip-Hop.... so, a bit of everything, I guess.

Gear: Oppo PM-3s (I know they're built for mobility, but I've only ever used them at home), Klipsch XR8i (when I'm on the go), FiiO X3 3rd gen / A5 amp and Audioengine D1 DAC (plan on upgrading to the iFi Audio Zen DAC V2 - recommends welcome).

The PM3s have treated me well, but after 7 years, they're a bit worn for wear - so, before they suddenly call it quits on me, I'm looking for an appropriate replacement.

I've often read that they're considered to be 'fun' cans, so I'm looking to dip my toe in the deep end of the pool with a more 'serious' soundstage, if you will.

With this in mind, I'm considering trying a dynamic open-back setup. My concern with this is the (potential) loss of low-end punch I've become accustomed to.

Any recommendations for a set of cans that strike a good balance between the two (fuller overall sound / strong low-end), and are clearly an upgrade from, or at the very least, equal to, the PM3s, would be highly appreciated.

Budget: trying to keep it at around 300 euros - might go higher if the recommend is strong.

Jan 3, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #2 of 12
Since you're in Europe, I'd suggest looking into the Sash Tres. It's planar though, not dynamic. You can also purchase covers to make them semi open or closed, if your use case changes.

Jan 3, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 12
I would only buy the HD600 if you value a natural midrange over bass and soundstage. This is personal preference but they're probably the least 'fun' headphones I own.

Jan 3, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 12
Hifiman Sundara is worth looking into if you want a more "mainstream" alternative to the suggested Sash. A bit more fun sounding compared to the Sennheisers, although still quite neutral. For the price, very good for metal IMO.

Jan 3, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks! I'll look into them.

Your thoughts on the HD600 as an option?
If you’re looking for a different flavor of headphones I’d happily recommend these, however I’d NEVER recommend them to a bass lover. They’re not known for their low end.

Jan 3, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks... that's the impression I've been getting from everything I've read so far, so they're off my list.
Some of the biodynamic closed backs are worth a look. My favorite, and bass master, is the emu-teak.

Jan 3, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 12
Some of the biodynamic closed backs are worth a look. My favorite, and bass master, is the emu-teak.

Only because the Denon D7200 is still on your list to own.

Jan 3, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #10 of 12
Jan 3, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #11 of 12
Emu Teak are $450-$500, way over stated budget.

I love my open-back ATH-R70X, around $350 US. They are tuned neutral with just a little bit of extra bass, and you'll hear amazing detail and natural timbre. They claim to go down to 5Hz, and with EQ you can make them thump all you want; for me, there's ample bass without any EQ. They can use an amp to thrive, but you already have one.

They're also light and comfortable, which makes much more of a difference than I thought after my previous headphones.

They will sound drier and more analytical than your Oppos, but that's because nothing, top or bottom, is exaggerated. Spend some time with them and see if they don't prove themselves. If you get them from Thomann.de you'd have the best price with a 30-day tryout period. They have been around a long time with lots of reviews here and elsewhere; not everyone agrees with me but a lot of people do.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #12 of 12
Emu Teak are $450-$500, way over stated budget.

I love my open-back ATH-R70X, around $350 US. They are tuned neutral with just a little bit of extra bass, and you'll hear amazing detail and natural timbre. They claim to go down to 5Hz, and with EQ you can make them thump all you want; for me, there's ample bass without any EQ. They can use an amp to thrive, but you already have one.

They're also light and comfortable, which makes much more of a difference than I thought after my previous headphones.

They will sound drier and more analytical than your Oppos, but that's because nothing, top or bottom, is exaggerated. Spend some time with them and see if they don't prove themselves. If you get them from Thomann.de you'd have the best price with a 30-day tryout period. They have been around a long time with lots of reviews here and elsewhere; not everyone agrees with me but a lot of people do.
Thanks! I'll read up on them. Was hoping to get an Audio Tech recommend on the list, as they keep showing up on comparison threads (for good reason, apparently).
Glad you mentioned the comfort aspect - will need to be, as they'll be used an average of 8 hours daily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back