Recommendations!
Oct 8, 2014 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Dideahcarlos

New Head-Fier
Hi there guy's, im stuck between IEM's or a portable ( closed back ) headset.
I was contemplating this question just over 3 months ago, where I got frustrated and spent less of my budget on the safe Momentum Over-ear's. Which, by the way, im very happy with. But i want to upgrade. Back then, i tried the Grado RS2i which i fell in love with. I listen a lot of different genres that usually are jazz, blues or rock, or R&B, or hip hop...
Chick Corea, Return to Forever, Jeff Beck, Many of the jazz standards ( monk/ coltrane/ miles etc), Motown stuff, Herbie Hancock, Outkast, Digeable Planets, etc.
I liked the balance of the RS2's but it might just be the fact it was an open back. I find that headphones are a pain to carry around, and momentums are probably easier then a lot of other headphones for portability.

Anyway, would i be happier with more expensive IEMs or Headphones. Is a $330 headphone on par with the sound quality of $500-600 IEMs? i am looking at the Shure SE535 ( Or LTD version ), Heir 4Ai, and some others. I dont know much about earphones, but based on my liking of the RS2s and my taste in music can u pick me some earphones ( Custom can too ) that would be better then my momentums... or pick me headphones that sound better then momentums ( 500-600usd ). Ill go upgrade headphones if IEMs are a bad option.

My english isn't very good, sorry.

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #2 of 3
Open headphones will typically have the best soundstage, if that's what you liked about the Grados. Of course they are not good for portable use.

I have not heard the IEMs you are considering. Sorry.

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 3
You might take a look at InnerFidelity's Wall of Fame.

I'm not really an IEM/earbud person, so if you're looking for a full sized pair of headphones to be portable, I recommend looking at foldability and detachable cables. You want a detachable cable because some models--like my ATH-M50--have a very long cable that likes to get in the way. Foldability can be important so you can fit the headphons in a smaller space, making them more portable. The M50's are good on this front, but I don't think they'll sound better than your Momentums.

Still, I'm not 100% sure you can get a great SQ upgrade from the Momentums with sealed headphones. Better headphones tend to fall into the open back category, so even if a sealed model sounds better to you, it might not sound enough better to justify the price tag. If you just want more portability, yes, check out IEMs. Otherwise, if you like the sound of the Momentums, I say stick with those for the time being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back