Recommendations?
Aug 23, 2013 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Aisein

New Head-Fier
I've heard good reviews for both the SRH840's and the V-Moda Crossfade M100's but I don't know which ones I would prefer. For someone who listens to a lot of popular kinds of music (alternative, pop, etc.), which one would be better?

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 26
What kind of sound signature are you looking for? Do you want a bassy, V-shaped sound signature or do you want a neutral, mid-centric signature? 

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:
What kind of sound signature are you looking for? Do you want a bassy, V-shaped sound signature or do you want a neutral, mid-centric signature? 

I want bass but I don't want it to be too overpowering. I'm still new so I'm not very familiar with terms such as "V-shaped" or "neutral". I understand that there are info threads explaining these concepts but its still kind of hard to grasp when you're new to this. The only other headphones that I've used other than Skullcandy are the Sony X headphones, Beats, and Bose.

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 26
I really like the Philips X1, it's my main set right now. Its in your price range - read some reviews and see what you think. There's plenty on head-fi and here's a good one:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-bottom-and-lively-top-philips-fidelio-x1

Aug 24, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #6 of 26
I've found the M-100's to be extremely satisfying for my listening needs (I listen to literally everything), even more after I EQ-d it to my liking.

The comfort has been an issue for some people regarding the headband or the earpads, but I have had no issues so far and there are solutions and upcoming alternatives to some of these problems.

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:
Which Bose? And did the Bose have enough bass for you?

I tried the Bose QuietComfort15 and no they didn't really have enough bass for me.
Quote:
I really like the Philips X1, it's my main set right now. Its in your price range - read some reviews and see what you think. There's plenty on head-fi and here's a good one:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-bottom-and-lively-top-philips-fidelio-x1

I would prefer that they're not open headphones since I have to travel with them. I probably should have included in my post that I'll be using these headphones mainly to my commute to school. Plus, I would want to be able to listen to them while I'm in the library or something. I'll read the review though and tell you what I think. 
Quote:
I've found the M-100's to be extremely satisfying for my listening needs (I listen to literally everything), even more after I EQ-d it to my liking.

The comfort has been an issue for some people regarding the headband or the earpads, but I have had no issues so far and there are solutions and upcoming alternatives to some of these problems.

How much of a further cost would those comfort solutions be? And also, for how long can you listen to them before they got uncomfortable?

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #9 of 26
I tried the Bose QuietComfort15 and no they didn't really have enough bass for me.
I would prefer that they're not open headphones since I have to travel with them. I probably should have included in my post that I'll be using these headphones mainly to my commute to school. Plus, I would want to be able to listen to them while I'm in the library or something. I'll read the review though and tell you what I think. 
How much of a further cost would those comfort solutions be? And also, for how long can you listen to them before they got uncomfortable?

The XL pads are I believe $20 on V-Moda.com and come with their Fader earplugs. (total $40 value) To solve the headband issue, one simply needs to flex the metal headband a little bit and stretch it to one's liking.

For me, I haven't encountered any comfort issues, no matter how long I've worn them. I wore them on my flight to Boston from Los Angeles and I felt no discomfort.

EDIT: typos

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Another option is the Ath A900x, a good balance of Bass, mids and treble. I have a review posted at my blog, and here at head fi! It's about the cheapest option listed so far and a good one I think for any one looking for thier first  neutral can! It's a great intro into hi fi audio headphones I think <3  

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:
Another option is the Ath A900x, a good balance of Bass, mids and treble. I have a review posted at my blog, and here at head fi! It's about the cheapest option listed so far and a good one I think for any one looking for thier first  neutral can! It's a great intro into hi fi audio headphones I think <3  

Are you recommending these over the SRH840's then? Because I found these for $243.18 on Amazon but I could get the SRH840's for about $200, if I remember correctly.

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #12 of 26

I'd probably avoid the Shures. Bass is not their forte. I found that the M-100s have very good bass, and yet not bloated/distorted bass like Beats, with cleaner mids and highs than Beats.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #13 of 26
If you are searching for a slightly bass boosted headphone with clear highs (and somewhat recessed midst unfortunately) that look great and are extremely durable, look no further than the M-100. One mistake many make going into this is that they expect an audiophile style headphone. While they were designed with that in mind, they are not the most neutral pair of headphones one can get.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:
Are you recommending these over the SRH840's then? Because I found these for $243.18 on Amazon but I could get the SRH840's for about $200, if I remember correctly.

Buy the Ath a900x here on head fi, I'll post you some links

you can also buy it on eBay. I got mine on eBay for 93 bucks! Well worth it. And I am saying it's a good option to try considering the price is well dirt cheap!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/677630/audio-technica-ath-900x-and-fiio-e11-amp-make-offer

There is a guy selling the Phone for $120, and for $150 it comes with a Fiio E11  

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #15 of 26
Buy the Ath a900x here on head fi, I'll post you some links

you can also buy it on eBay. I got mine on eBay for 93 bucks! Well worth it. And I am saying it's a good option to try considering the price is well dirt cheap!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/677630/audio-technica-ath-900x-and-fiio-e11-amp-make-offer

He's going to be using these for commuting to school. Not the best headphones for portability. Very big and bulky, and I would fear the wings system to get easily damaged unless they were in a good case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back