Recommendations would be much appreciated here!
Jun 8, 2012 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Music Guy123

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I am looking for some speakers for a friend who is building a new pc. Now, he is no audiofile, his music is not going to be above 256kbps so we don't need top of the range! These speakers will be used for both music and gaming and youtube watching. We don't need 5.1 surround sound, although, it is not something we don't want. His budget is around 100 but it can be increased slightly if necessary. I can provide more information if necessary, I hope you are able to help us, it would be much appreciated.

Music Guy

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 11
A hundred bucks ? Have you considered Logitech/Edifier ? 

He might be able to find a pair of used AudioEngine A5 or similar - best bet is to look around EBay/Craigslist etc. 

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 11
$100 for A5s is kinda impossible. A more realistic choice would be m-audio av40 or av30. I think there's also an av20 model.

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 11
Thank you very much for replying, it is much appreciated. I forgot to mention, I am in the uk so this is in pounds. Also, the budget is very flexible, we could probably go as high as 200. I'll have a look to see what I can find and then I will go from there. Thank you again. Music Guy

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 11
^Well in that case I'd recommend Audioengine. I have the A5's I got for $180 used but I have a friend that has the A2's and he says he's satisfied even with just that. Maybe other people would recommend just getting good/avg speakers and getting a DAC to go along with it?

Jun 9, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #7 of 11
I would like to point out, we aren't after amazing quality here, after all, he uses beats studio headphones...and he thinks they are amazing (puke!). So he isn't any where near an audiofile. I will see what I can find with regards to the A2. So far, from Logitek, I have found this: http://www.comet.co.uk/p/PC-Speakers/buy-LOGITECH-X-530-5.1-PC-Speakers-PC-Speaker/338664?cm_mmc=Google+Shopping-_-Feed-_-PC_Speakers-_-338664_Logitech__X-530_5.1_PC_Speakers&_%24ja=tsid:8360%7Ccc:%7Cprd:X-530+5.1+PC+Speakers%7Ccat:pC_Speakers&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products it seems reasonable and I am sure will be more than enough for our needs. However, will have a look for an A2 or similar. Thank you again.

Music Guy

Jun 9, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #9 of 11
UK eh?

I would hunt in Gumtree UK for classic/vintage stereo amps like the NAD 3020 and pair that with Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s? Certain vintage amps drive half decent speakers sweetly and ably to this day 
tongue_smile.gif

http://www.gumtree.com/cgi-bin/list_postings.pl?search_terms=nad+3020&search_location=United+Kingdom&ubercat=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back