Recommendations: Want to Upgrade from Sennheiser HD497
Apr 10, 2007 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

schneller

1000+ Head-Fier
I have had my 497s going on 6 or 7 years I think. They are still in great shape. They sound great. They are comfortable. Sometimes I even forget they are on my head! In fact, I really want to stick with a Sennheiser product.

Would do you all recommend?

I like the sound of the 497s but I wouldn't mind something with a little better isolation around the ears, with a little more in the mid and especially bass department. I want something that is as comfortable or more so. I want something that has only one wire connecting to the headphones instead of splitting and going up to both. And finally I would like to keep the price under $200 or $150.

Thanks!

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 8
HD595 has almost all the qualities you are looking for:
- made by Sennheiser (you wanna stick with them);
- very comfortable;
- only one wire, connected to the left earpiece;
- excellent sound quality, very balanced sound;
- price around $170,00, although some people mentioned they can be found for around $140,00 (I don't know where).

Besides:
- more "straight" sound, not as large a soundstage as in the HD6xx line (for me this is a plus);
- can be used with portable sources, won't need an amp due to its lower impedance (but will be better with one).

Cons:
- they don't isolate at all. If you want more isolation, they won't be the right choice for you, because they are open and leak a lot of sound. This can be an issue, depending on your situation. For me they are fine, since I only use my pair at home and don't listen to anything in very high volume.

My personal opinion: if you like Sennheiser, you will love the HD595.
wink.gif

Good luck!

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 8
You're definetely a AT A900 candidate. A Jack of all trades, pratty & fast, differenciated & punchy bass, good isolation. Beats the 5*5 in every respect but midrange.

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by OHPC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My personal opinion: if you like Sennheiser, you will love the HD595.
wink.gif

Good luck!

I switched from the HD-497(first headphones) two years ago. I got a Beyerdynamic DT-880 then.

From the above suggestions, I'd pick the HD-595 (although I havent heard it) considering your budget and requirements.

Apr 10, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 8
595s, just make sure you get the warranty with them, as my pair broke after 3 months. My pair (new) is currently for sale w/warranty, might want to check that out. Most sellers who sell for less than $180s these days don't give out warranties.

The 595s must have been the most versitle headphone I have ever had, and were the best out of the 5x5 series that I have had. Great for gaming, MP3 user friendly, and they sound great. I would still be using them today if it werent for the need for racing bindings.

edit: They are also wicked comfortable.

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the recommendations!

Any more are always appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back