Recommendations - Upgrading from Klipsch Custom-2s
Jun 16, 2009 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

CheekyMonkey

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

First time poster and unrepentant audiophile!
smily_headphones1.gif

I am a previous owner of the Jays Q-Jays (which are terrific but a bit too much like studio monitors) and a new owner of the Klipsch Custom-2s. I purchased the latter because (1) I need a pair of earphones for the gym that were less microphonic than the Q-Jays and (2) wanted something with a wider soundstage. To that end, the Custom-2s have done a terrific job, and that they ran for 50 quid made it all the better.

However, I am interested in getting another pair of earphones for everyday use. In particular, I am interested in a wide soundstage, detailed mids and highs (warm and musical) and a reasonable amount of bass. I have narrowed it down to the following:

Klipsch X5/X10/Custom-3s (how do these compare to each other and the Custom-2s?)
Sennheiser IE7/IE8

I can spend up to 200 pounds, though I would prefer to keep it at 100-150 if possible. What are people's thoughts on the above? Any suggestions appreciated!
dt880smile.png

Jun 16, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #2 of 5
Microphonics: IE7/8 has nearly none, unless you are wearing them straight

Soundstage: IE8, I doubt there's any competition here

Detail:
Mids) IE8's got them, though slightly recessed compared to lows/highs
Highs) IE8 got the wonderful extension, but the amount (or sparkle-ness) could use 1-2 db higher

Bass: very reasonable given unreasonably long burn-in time (don't make any final
decision till 500 hr, hold your horses on other IEM purchases until 1000 hr, if you still
want anything else then *exaggeration*)

Jun 16, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #4 of 5
Interesting take on the Custom 3s vs. X10s. I guess it comes down comfort vs. ultimate sound quality. As much as I enjoy bass, most of the music I listen to tends to be hard/soft rock, acoustic, pop. It's more important to me that the earphones not muddle the hard guitar riffs on a Snow Patrol or Stereophonics track than how much bass I can get...

How did the soundstages compare? Also, I noticed that the X10 is being offered on Ebay Uk at £119 from a reputable dealer, and the X5 for £99 from same dealer..

New Original KLIPSCH Image X10 Earphones UK Seller on eBay, also Headphones, Universal MP3 Accessories, MP3 Player Accessories, Consumer Electronics (end time 04-Jul-09 16:48:03 BST)

I am having a harder time justifying the IE8 price tag...
wink.gif

Anyone compare the S4 to the X5/X10 yet?

I know, lots of questions.
ksc75smile.gif

Other suggestions?

Jun 16, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 5
Given the prices, I'm now inclined towards the Klipsch range (X5, X10 or Custom 3). I'm leaning towards the X5 because I hear that it has the most balanced sound AND comes with a very good soundstage. Last question: does anyone know if the bass is an improvement on the Custom 2? (I'm not a basshead, but I liked the punch the Custom 2s offered, and it wasn't overwhelming either..)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back