Recommendations: Simple, free CAD program
Jun 22, 2007 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

luvdunhill

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi! I'm looking for an easy to use, simple CAD program that will let me produce a set of speaker plans, with dimensions. I'd also use it to lay out front panels, and the like. Any recommendations out there?

Jun 22, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 11
It's not reall CAD/CAM per se, but you could use POV-Ray/Moray for this, and you'd get some neat graphics out of it on the other end. You're not trying to simulate, right? For that, you'd need FE software.

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 11
yup, i just need to produce some sort of drawing with dimensions. I'd like to say give me a line "3 feet" long and another "2 feet long" and connect them at 83 degrees and then put some dimensions on the drawing, etc. a 3d model is nice, but a bit overkill
wink.gif

I'll try Google Sketchup for now and report back!

Jun 22, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by spongezone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Google SketchUp. Probably the easiest CAD tool in existance.

I've never seen this! Pretty cool. Too bad it's only on Windows. Tell me, what are the limitations of the free version?

Jun 22, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never seen this! Pretty cool. Too bad it's only on Windows. Tell me, what are the limitations of the free version?

Well, its pretty crappy if you are actually trying to design something to build. I use Inventor, a lot; easily right up there with SolidWorks and Pro/E. You can design assemblies in 3D and then layout automatically 2D CAD drawings that you can print with dimensions and use that when building.

If you'd like me to design them for you, I can, shoot me a PM. Send me any sketches of what you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back