Recommendations please
May 23, 2014 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

gyx11

500+ Head-Fier
My first post on the music subforum.

Need some recommendations for well produced, contemporary music.

My current favorites are Muse (Absolution, BH&R, 1st half of 2nd Law), Coldplay (Parachutes, A Rush of Blood to the Head, some parts of Viva La Vida), Arcade Fire (Funerals). I do enjoy selected works of the likes of Ed Sheeran, Phillip Phillips, and instrumental/orchestral music such as Hans Zimmer (Gladiator, Inception, TDKR) and even E.S. Posthumus (Nara, Pompeii e.t.c)

As you can see, my music preferences are quite broad. The problem is, many modern albums are so poorly produced and compressed. Funerals was terrible, as with all Muse albums bar The 2nd Law. Hard to find a mix of good music and good production.

Can anyone perhaps direct me to further my musical boundaries with your list of recommendations? Much appreciated!

May 27, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 4
My first post on the music subforum.

Need some recommendations for well produced, contemporary music.

My current favorites are Muse (Absolution, BH&R, 1st half of 2nd Law), Coldplay (Parachutes, A Rush of Blood to the Head, some parts of Viva La Vida), Arcade Fire (Funerals). I do enjoy selected works of the likes of Ed Sheeran, Phillip Phillips, and instrumental/orchestral music such as Hans Zimmer (Gladiator, Inception, TDKR) and even E.S. Posthumus (Nara, Pompeii e.t.c)

As you can see, my music preferences are quite broad. The problem is, many modern albums are so poorly produced and compressed. Funerals was terrible, as with all Muse albums bar The 2nd Law. Hard to find a mix of good music and good production.

Can anyone perhaps direct me to further my musical boundaries with your list of recommendations? Much appreciated!

I would start looking around the forums. There are lots of threads for well produced and engineered cd's, albums, etc. As far as contemporary goes, you already listed some good ones. I would add Radiohead and Massive Attack as two good contemporary bands with good production. If you have an SACD player, look into buying some SACD's of an artist you like (Super Audio CD's are kind of a niche market, but more and more albums are being re-released on SACD all the time).

Jun 1, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 4
I would add a vote for Massive Attack. They are simply amazing. Clarity by Jimmy Eat World is well produced. If you can find a vinyl of Stadium Arcadium by RHCP I'd recommend that. The CD version is really compressed. Daft Punks new album is great too. The CD is good but the vinyl is simply amazing imo. I would definitely start with Blue Lines by Massive Attack if you haven't heard it. It's an all-time favorite of mine 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back