Recommendations please?
Jun 26, 2013 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Mackem

500+ Head-Fier
My budget is up to £150 GBP (Great British Pounds), but I may stretch slightly more if it matters that much. I will be using them on my PC with a Xonar DG sound card but I would be willing to get a small amp depending on price. They will be used exclusively at home and don't want the sound to leak to the point that people can hear what I am listening to when they're sleeping. I'd prefer full-sized circumaural headphones due to the size of my head and ears. I'd say I prefer an emphasis on bass for EDM but not to the point that it completely destroys the other frequencies.

My past headphones include the M-Audio Q40 and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80s. I liked the sound of the Q40s but I had to sell them because the clamp on my jaw was too much, even after I stretched them out over a subwoofer for like 5 nights, leading to quite uncomfortable jaw fatigue. The DT770 Pro 80s sounded like the mids were a bit recessed and felt like they clamped a bit but this may have been down to the fact I did not have them for very long or amped them good enough?

My main music preferences are definitely EDM (Electronic Dance Music) but I do listen to some pop and rock as well. I am located in the United Kingdom if this matters with suggestions.

Comfort is also huge for me. I wear glasses and have quite a large head and as previously mentioned, the likes of the Q40s and DT770 Pro gave me jaw fatigue after 30 minutes or so as it seemed as though they sat too low on my head but then if I adjusted them a size down, they'd feel a bit tight around the top of the head. It seems impossible for me to find a pair that will suit which is why I am asking here.

I am essentially looking at getting a pair of headphones that can be worn for hours on end without being fatiguing / hurting (I'll obviously take them off for breaks and to go to the toilet and whatnot but you get the idea)

My ideal pair of headphones (from my limited experience) would be the sound of the Q40s with the lovely velour earcups of the DT770 Pro but something that is perhaps lighter and doesn't sit as low down on my jaw?

If you need to know any more, please let me know.

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 22
Audio Technica ATN-A900X (Closed) headphones.
Digbuy sells them for $179.99, plus tax & shipping.
One step above the DT770 in sound quality.

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 22
My ears are more long than anything (Ear lobes ever so slightly stuck out of the bottom of the DT770 Pros). Hard for me to find comfortable closed cans that sound good.

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #7 of 22
Seems like the other problem you'll have with comfort is that to get good, deep bass, most closed headphones require a good seal, which means some clamping force.

Can you use an open headphone, or do you need the isolation of a closed headphone? If you can go open, you might have to compromise a little on the bass emphasis, but you could likely get better mids and highs and could probably find something that is a better comfort fit.

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #11 of 22
I meant like as in they leak that much sound that you might as well just use speakers. I'm not sure if all open headphones leak exactly the same? 

It can't be that hard to ask for a pair of closed headphones that are glasses friendly and won't clamp my jaw after like 10 minutes.

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #12 of 22
I meant like as in they leak that much sound that you might as well just use speakers. I'm not sure if all open headphones leak exactly the same? 

Do you have any closed headphones? If the headphones are off your head, is the sound too loud for those around you at the volumes you listen to? If so, I'd go with closed.

It can't be that hard to ask for a pair of closed headphones that are glasses friendly and won't clamp my jaw after like 10 minutes.

I wear glasses and don't have that problem with most headphones. Sorry. Don't know how to help you there.

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #13 of 22
I never have problems with sound leaking on other closed headphones I had, it was comfort. Like I said, it wasn't that they hurt my ears or head, it was specifically my jaw. It felt really uncomfortable with the Q40s when I tried to talk and I could just feel the pressure there all of the time.

Jul 2, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #15 of 22
I never have problems with sound leaking on other closed headphones . . . .

My point with above was to use a closed pair of headphones to simulate the leaking sound from an open pair of headphones. Open headphones shouldn't leak more than having the closed headphones off your head with the speakers aimed out into the room. Then you would know if you could go open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back