Recommendations please!
Dec 28, 2007 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PieRat

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I have been reading the forums for awhile now, as I start to become more addicted to this money draining but sweet sounding hobby.
smily_headphones1.gif

I currently have Grado SR80s, and also have a set of Denon AHD1000 coming in a few days.

I thouroghly love my Grados, have been enjoying them for almost 2 years now.

I am wanting to get another pair of closed cans for using at work from a small akai shelf system and thru my Ipod which I also use a headphone amp with.

I already have the Denons coming, but the other 2 choices I am looking at are the Audio Technica ATH A700's, and the Beyerdynamic 770 pro (80 ohm version)

I am wanting to know from fellow headfiers who own both of those cans what they think would be a good choice. I listen to everything from classical to rock to country to jazz, etc...

P.S. Also is there like a hostel or shelter for audiophilers who go broke and become homeless? [size=xx-small]Damn this website![/size]
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 6
I currently own the 80s and in the past owned the A900s and DT770s. What kind of sound do you expect? In order of preference, do you like treble, mids, or bass? The DT770s focus more on the low end at the expense of mids and highs. The A900s have good highs and sometimes boomy bass at the expense of mids (they're a little recessed). Both didn't have the energy and up front presentation of the Grados, but if you're looking for something completely different, then these HPs will give you that. Maybe others can help you, but I haven't found a decent closed can yet. I guess if I were to buy one back, I'd go with the A900s because I like my treble and they were great with movies.

Dec 29, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently own the 80s and in the past owned the A900s and DT770s. What kind of sound do you expect? In order of preference, do you like treble, mids, or bass? The DT770s focus more on the low end at the expense of mids and highs. The A900s have good highs and sometimes boomy bass at the expense of mids (they're a little recessed). Both didn't have the energy and up front presentation of the Grados, but if you're looking for something completely different, then these HPs will give you that. Maybe others can help you, but I haven't found a decent closed can yet. I guess if I were to buy one back, I'd go with the A900s because I like my treble and they were great with movies.

I guess I like both bass and treble. I mean I remember my EQ's back in the 80's looking like a "V" with both bass and treble being enhanced. I love the Grado sound, just not sure I can get anywhere near the Grado sound in a closed can around the price of the two headphones I mentioned.

Also I can handle more bass and be fine with it as well. I like all genres of music, including some industrial, Trance, R&B, old (wow I said old) newwave stuff... Not that big into rap... Well modern day rap at least, so that is about the only bass driven music I would most likely not listen to much.

I was also looking at the Audio Technica ATH ES7's as well. Not sure about the sound compared with the A700s or DT770's, but I must admit they are sweet looking cans. Any thoughts on those as well?

Dec 29, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am by no means an experienced audiophile, But if you want to read a few of my impressions on both of these 'phones I am currently trying to decide between them and wrote a thread on it here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/dt7...oughts-279605/

Thanks Kett! I am reading that thread now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #6 of 6
The lower end Audio Technicas imo have accentuated highs and bass, with more recessed mids, but good sound stage. I like em for trance mainly, but I wouldnt say they sound at all like Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back