Recommendations please- Specific requirements mentioned, under $200, musical interests and other things mentioned etc.
Sep 15, 2012 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

crickbob

New Head-Fier
I've been reviewing a lot of threads about IEM's and wow, there are a lot of opinions...as to be expected.  Very knowledgable group here - Thanks!

OK.... Here's what's up.  In all my searching I see suggestions but none really have matched all my requirements so I figured I'd give this a whirl.

Here we go on my search.  My top price is $200 and these are the important requirements....  If I could get away for far less than $200 and they meet these requirement that would be great.  I'm not the type of person to buy, try, then sell,  If I buy 'me they will stay (unless need to return)

1. Want to listen to iPhone 4 with E11 amp (if amp not necessary please say so)
  2. Want to listen while non-strenuous exercise (walking briskly)... 
  3. Want to listen while lying in bed at bedtime.... don't want to disturb my wife.  Figure I'll set something to play and just let it shut off on it's own.  I have sleep apenea and wear sleep headgear so that is kind of a situation.... although the headgear is very light and small.... iPod earbuds work ok with them. I guess I might be concerned about having the IEM's in all night and hoping I won't destroy the cable.  Could set a sleep alarm on phone to wake me to take them out I guess - lol  Noise cancelling would be great as long as it doesn't diminish or color the sound.
  4. My musical tastes are all over the map but I especially like - Female vocals (jazz, rock, singer songwriter, folk), Folk, Classical (mostly cello (Jacqueline DuPre, lighter (non-bombastic for sleep), Jazz (like it all but especially like Coltrane, Mingus, to ECM - Ralph Towner et. al.  Been revisiting early prog rock lately, and Zappa.  I have an extensive collection.
  5. Want accurate presentation, not heavy on bass but balanced - bass, mids, highs for above musical tastes.
  6. I rip my CDs to Apple Lossless using XLD.  Any streaming music is through paid MOG subscription.
  7. Comfort - I wear glasses all the time when not sleeping.  I've read some conflicting things with wearing glasses as related to the popular GR07 and others-- I guess running the cables over the ears is a requirement but will defer to experts.
  8. Lastly I've read conflicting things regarding returns to Amazon, even from Amazon themselves when recently writing to ask. I can't get a clear read on the policy of opening IEM's, trying them, and if not liking as to the return policy.  Long time Prime member if that means anything.

My home system headphones are AKG Q-701 with Matrix M-Stage Headphone amp.  I like this setup but honestly have nothing to compare it to.  I listen to a lot of vinyl.... sounds pretty good to me.

I hope this was a detailed enough list of requirements and I also hope that there are some really solid suggestions based on them. I also hope I didn't put anyone off with the amount of detail here.  And I hope I get some experienced replies concerning the Amazon return thing.... I mean, if I want to return them, they will have been open and tried, right?

Thanks much folks!

Sep 15, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 7
Goto Www.etymotic.com and spend a little time looking around.

Then come back and tell us which model you bought.

You won't regret it.

Cheers, Jim

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks Jim. I did look over the site. No offense intended but none of the details I was asking about were answered there. The have a nice website , but my concerns ie: comfort ( glasses), etc were not to be found. I guess I'm looking for personal experience from someone that has situations like mine. That's why I detailed my initial message. But thanks, I'll do some searching on the forum about that brand.

Really would like to know about experiences of others concerning open box headphones to Amazon or other recommended head phone vendors.

Sep 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 7
I apologize about Jim, he sometimes gets carried away with his love for Etymotic. I think I once saw him recommend something that was not an Ety, so it's getting better 
wink.gif

The Brainwavz B2 could stick out a bit when sleeping on your side, and although you and I share a lot of common genres and artists which the B2 excels at (Gentle Gianr sounds amazing through them), you might find them a bit treble-hyped.
The GR07, which I have only read about, seems to be something to consider, maybe you could PM one of the most active IEM reviewers like ClieOS or |joker| about a suggestion.

Sep 20, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 7
If the B2 sticks out too far I would definitely recommend the Fischer Audio DBA-02 mkII. It's smaller and retains the same sound quality and detail of the original DBA. 

I can also say the GR07 mkII is a good option for a bit more bass and more natural sounding decay. I wear glasses and wearing over the ear doesn't cause me any problems. I don't think it would be too hard to sleep with them on either. I would research those a bit before committing to anything. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back