Recommendations please for a relative IEM 'virgin' currently using UE100s and looking for an inexpensive upgrade
Nov 10, 2013 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

largeruk

New Head-Fier
Hi

Firstly, it's great to actually join this community. I've visited the site many times and always found both the content and the posts from members extremely helpful in halping me, as a virtual IEM virgin, navigate my way round what is for me still very new territory. I'd be extremely grateful if any of the clearly extremely knowledgeable people on here could give me the benefit of their experience and advice.

Background
I've had a pair of UE100s for about a year. These actually came with my current mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy S4) and were the first pair of 'non-standard supplied' IEMs I'd ever worn. Even I could immediately tell the difference between these and the very poor quality ones (IMHO) usually supplied with phones. I use them mostly on a commute which involves a walk (mostly not noisy) and a train ride (very noisy). I listen to mostly speech-based podcasts plus a little music (all genres from classical to folk to rock to jazz) on my commute, although if I got a higher quality pair I'd probably listen to more music. I use my phone to listen to these,

Advice Sought
I know that UE100s are very much at the bottom end of the price & quality range and I'd like to at least look into the possibly of upgrading, largely for the following reasons:-
  1. I find the noise isolation on the UE100s really begins to struggle as soon as I'm in a noisy environment eg. on a busy street, where there's lots of traffic, noisy train ride etc. At this point I usually have to increase the volume up to, or nearly up to, maximum in order to more clearly hear - especially speech-based podcasts.
  2. I find the sound of UE100s very balanced (at least to my ears) but a bit muddy/woolly - apologies for the lack of technical terminology. From all I've read, it seems that better/pricier IEMs achieve greater clarity both through better techonlogy/build and greater noise isolation.

I'm aware that most podcasts are usually of a low audio bitstream/quality and this needs to be factored into the cost/benefit possible upgrade decision. However, I would very much appreciate people's views as to what (if any) the next upgrade might be from my current UE100s given the above factors and usage. I'm not looking to spend a whole load of money (simply don't have it) but £15-£40 is about my budget. More than happy to consider well cared for secondhand if people think that's a good option.

Many many thanks to all who take the time and trouble to reply. All advice/ideas/suggestions gratefully received....
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 10, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #2 of 3
I'm going to suggest the EtyKids, you can get them for £31 at Amazon UK.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Etymotic-Research-Limiting-Isolating-Headphones/dp/B005TOV0OM/ref=sr_1_1/277-9539707-5274467?ie=UTF8&qid=1384078676&sr=8-1&keywords=etykids

Etymotic make great iems for noise isolation so these should fit the bill.  However, they decided to volume limit this model to protect people's hearing, but from what I've read, you should get sufficient volume from most smartphones and daps, but as I do not own them, do ask around.

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #3 of 3
  I'm going to suggest the EtyKids, you can get them for £31 at Amazon UK.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Etymotic-Research-Limiting-Isolating-Headphones/dp/B005TOV0OM/ref=sr_1_1/277-9539707-5274467?ie=UTF8&qid=1384078676&sr=8-1&keywords=etykids

Etymotic make great iems for noise isolation so these should fit the bill.  However, they decided to volume limit this model to protect people's hearing, but from what I've read, you should get sufficient volume from most smartphones and daps, but as I do not own them, do ask around.

Hi

Thanks very much for posting and the suggestion. I've done a bit of research and don't think the Etykids will work as the in-built volume limiting won't allow me to have them loud enough both for the environments they'll be used in and for my own listening pleasure!

Any other suggestions/ideas/advice gratefully received..
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back