Recommendations on upgrading from ATH M50's to other closed cans...
Jul 16, 2014 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

boredandlazy

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I currently use ATH M50's plugged into a Fiio E17 and I really like the sound. But for some reason I thought recently it would be a good idea to get some decent bluetooth headphones for convenience sake at work, but after trying a couple of pairs (namely the Meeletronics Matrix2 AF62 and the Sony MDR10RBT's) I just can't do it anymore. The Sony's were utterly horrible, so overly muddy and bassy(which was only more pronounced when used with BT), and the Meelectronics were better, but even though they're advertised as Over-Ear they aren't circumaural which means sound leakage. Neither were really fun to listen to.
I mostly listen to rock, but I also listen to TV/Film soundtracks so classical music would also have to sound good.
Anyway, with me being me I've decided rather than save the money I was going to spend on BT headphones I'd upgrade my M50's to something better. Here is the criteria I'm after:

*Requirements:
-Under or around $200-250US (Although a cheaper pair will be fine if they are of high enough quality). Keep in mind I live in Australia so some headphones cannot be shipped there (eg. Sennheiser), which means buying locally and potentially a $100 markup.
-Must work well with the Fiio E17 DAC/Amp
-Must have very little(preferrably none) sound leakage.
-Must be a fairly neutral headphone as I don't want to have to play with an equalizer. I really like the way the M50's sound so if it's possible to get something which is just like a better version of that I'll be happy. Punchy bass is fine, I just don't like it overpowering the treble and mids.
-Must be very comfortable, I do feel a weird hot feeling on my head when using the M50's every now and then so some good padding would be great.
-Must be circumaural.

*Wants but don't needs:
-Comes with a hard carry case.
-Doesn't look silly, a more subtle look etc.(people give me funny looks when I used to wear a cheaper pair of AT's with their 'Wing' design and when you're in a professional environment at work it's a little embarassing).
-Detachable cable.

I've seen mostly good things about the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros but apparently they have sound leakage because of the material of the earpads? Is the M50x pretty much the same as the M50 as I've also heard conflicting reports about that?
Any other ideas on what I should check out?

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 6
Soundmagic HP100 seem a good fit for you. See these reviews:

http://noblehifi.blogspot.com/2012/10/soundmagic-hp100-review.html
http://www.head-fi.org/products/soundmagic-hp100-premium-over-the-ear-folding-headphones-black

Just over your budget with shipping via Australia Ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brand-New-SoundMAGIC-HP100-HEADPHONE-Sound-MAGIC-/271544978000

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks, I'll do a bit of research on those. I can get them from a reputable online retailer for $249 so if I choose them I might go that route instead even though it's $9 more expensive.

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #6 of 6
I've been given the opportunity to get some Viso Nad HP50's for a decent price. Can anyone comment on the level of sound leakage?

Little to none. If you can get them for a decent price then go for it, they fit your criteria. They're not neutral, more of a fun signature, but while the bass is punchy and elevated it isn't overwrought and the highs aren't jarring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back