Recommendations on headphones for outside work and exercise
Jul 7, 2013 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

asdfffdsa

New Head-Fier
I recently made this post in that "recommendations aggregation thread" (since closed) and ended up buying some recommended DUNU DN-19 Tai Chi IEMs.  Unfortunately these didn't work out for me.  Despite having "ear hooks," using the clip, etc etc, the ear buds just dislodge from my ears when the sweat builds up and I have to constantly readjust them.  It's quite the pain the ass when you're trying to concentrate on working, exercising, listening to an audiobook, etc etc.  The sound is good, but it's just not worth this hassle.

So I don't think IEMs are going to work for me (or perhaps there are other types that remain fixed in place by the tension of a "behind-the-neck" design?), and thus I'm back to where I started.  My original post with some modifications:

The cord on my old sennheiser PMX 200s broke and my attempt at repair resulted in unbearable sound quality.  This is what I'm ideally looking for in new headphones:

- Ideal for exercise and outside work - the less I have to worry about them, the better.  If the process of putting them on and off is involved (as with the DN-19s), this will be a problem since I often need to converse with someone at a job site.
- Behind-the-neck/-head design - the type that "fasten" to the ears and stay out of the way
- Closed-construction - the PMX 200s had this and was very nice, but this isn't absolutely necessary
- Wired and No batteries
- Some way to block out disruption caused by the wind - not even sure if there's a product for this, but I know there are bicycle helmet strap attachments that accomplish this

I'm only looking for somewhat decent sound, so I'm not interested in anything ultra pricey (I'd like to keep it ~$75).  I mostly just listen to audiobooks and deep house.

Jul 7, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 3
Check out this review thread of 107 portable headphones: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-107-portable-headphones-reviewed-astrotec-as-100hd-as-200hd-added-12-02-12

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 3
I checked out that thread, but it seems to focus on portable headphones rather than those suited to exercise. I didn't see any around-the-neck/neckband headphones in that compilation--most of them look like they'd easily fall off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back