Recommendations on best setup for gaming
Jul 28, 2013 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Slayn

New Head-Fier
Hello all! So I have read around this site for a while, need to ask some questions on what exactly what is the best way to set it all up, because it is confusing to me. It is kind of a long read, thank you in advance.

First of all, my headphones are some that I had recommended from reading around here as a nice "budget" headset, the Samson SR-850. ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/546544/samson-sr850-superlux-oem-review-a-50-budget-champion )

My soundcard is an older Creative Labs, I don't remember the exact model, but it is old and doesn't work with Windows 8 very well, so I will need a new one. The audio keeps going out, and the only thing that fixes it is reinstalling the drivers. Annoying, but understandable, I had this thing before Windows Vista came out.

I actually have a receiver as well, an Onkyo TX-SR606, but this ALSO might need to be replaced. If you don't know about the receiver, they had a pretty widespread issue where the HDMI board is broken, so the HDMI us pretty useless. I CAN possibly fix it, because apparently the problem is specifically with a capacitor, and people have had success resoldering a new one and then adding a fan so it stops overheating ( God does this thing run hot ). It actually has analog inputs, so in the past I have been using a cable I have that splits the audio from the sound card in to each analog audio input in the receiver. So for inst the front l/r output from the sound card is split in to 2 analog audio channels in the back of the receiver.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR606-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0015S8PGW

Ok so my question... what is the best way to set this all up for the best gaming experience? I am not TOO experienced in this, but at least I have an idea. As far as I can tell I can:

1. Buy a new sound card, buy another external amp for the headphones, be done with it.

2a. Buy a new sound card, use the receiver as an amp for the headphones, let the sound card do all the 3d positional processing ( dolby headphones, etc )
2b. Buy a new sound card, use the receiver an an amp, let the receiver do all the 3d positional processing ( I am not exactly sure what the Onkyo can do with audio from the computer ).

3. Forget the sound card, fix the receiver, use HDMI from the video card to the receiever, and let the Onkyo do all the 3d positional audio.

I am actually just assuming that the receiver can take audio from the computer and that it has it's own version of say Dolby Headphones built in. I know there are many listening modes, but I am not sure if it works the way I am thinking. If anyone has any input on the best way to set this all up, I would be grateful. My main goal is more of enjoying my games more, not really "competitive" play. I just have a lot of single player games, I really like that cinematic immersive experience. Here is also the manual for my receiver if it helps:

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/tx-sr606_manual_e.pdf

Thank you!

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #2 of 14
I recommend Option 4: Buy a sound card that will do the positional audio and has a built in headphone amp. But it really depends on your budget :)

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 14
I would guess getting a Creative Labs SB-Z (Sound Blaster Z) sound card, $80, would solve connection issues.
Chances are TX-SR606 headphone output is going to have a high impedance, so it's not the best for driving 32-Ohm (SR850) headphones, where as the SB-Z's headphone output should have a lower impedance (10-Ohm?).

You can also run optical from the SB-Z to the Onkyo receiver, for 5.1 (6-channel audio) speaker audio.

Aug 3, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 14
If you get a new amp, then make sure to run an HDMI cable out of your graphics card to the receiver/pre-amp. This will avoid your computer's sound all together. If you want to avoid getting an amp, then you must buy a new sound card. If you go used, you can get something for under a $100. Otherwise, I do not think there are any quality sound cards below that price. 

Aug 3, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 14
If you get a new amp, then make sure to run an HDMI cable out of your graphics card to the receiver/pre-amp. This will avoid your computer's sound all together. If you want to avoid getting an amp, then you must buy a new sound card. If you go used, you can get something for under a $100. Otherwise, I do not think there are any quality sound cards below that price. 

The Xonar DX/D1 is, in my experience, as good or better than the DACs in some entry level AVRs.

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #6 of 14
So I used to love my Onkyo until it broke, and since I now live in a small condo filled with people, it is kind of useless, so if I fixed my receiver, it would literally only be used as an amp for the headphones until I move to a house where I can listen to music. I think the best option would be just to get  new sound card and forget the avr, it doesn't seem to add much. I don't really have a budget, but I am not going to spend hundreds if I don't have to.

So I will forgot the avr for now, should I get a sound card with a decent built-in headphone amp? Or do I need to buy an external? I don't mind buying a powered amp if it is worth it, I am just not sure what  works best with the SR850. If you could suggest which sound card and if i need an amp ( and which one ) as long as it is $200 or so I would be fine. Unless I don't even need to spend that much.

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #8 of 14
There are so many Xonar models it is hard to keep track of them all... if I go for the DX it is around $80 and then around $100 for an amp, if I get the STX it is $180. Essentially the same price. The biggest difference is I can select which amp I want, the SR850 having a low impedence of 32-Ohm. Not sure what specs the STX has, although I am also not sure what a good amp for the SR850 is either. Then we throw in that there are Creative cards as well and it makes the decision even harder. Anyone have experience with drivers and Windows 8? The problem with my Creative card is it doesn't work well with Windows 8, and I have to reinstall them at least once a day.

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #9 of 14
There is an extension discussion thread on the STX here at Head-Fi: http://www.head-fi.org/t/421890/the-xonar-essence-stx-q-a-tweaking-impressions-thread
They can tell you if there are any Windows 8 driver issues.

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #10 of 14
I have an STX and I will say it is a good headphone amp. I do not have other amps to compare it to. But it seems to be nice clean sound and clean power. The drivers are excellent. I asked in forums if the little dot III would be better and  from what I hearing, it would not. Get the STX, it is great! For your Grado, it does not need an amp. Move up to Sennheiser for more much comfort. Back in the day I used the Grado Sr60 for two years and really enjoyed the sound and dealt with the pain/ear discomfort. But once you put a Sennheiser on, I really could never go back to the grado's. I can not bear the discomfort anymore.  Move up to higher than HD595. I've had the HD555 on two occasions and have not been impressed. The HD555 has a muffled sound, even after performing the mod. The HD595 to me where it really starts to get a golden sound. I have the HD595, HD600 and HD650.  Get the STX first then snag a HD600 or HD650 if you can.

I've had the Audigy 2 platinum and that was great also but no built in headphone amp. I will say the Audigy 2, you can pick up for under $50. I will say the Audigy extensions are better then STX. I'm looking for that op amp for stx to increase extensions in bass and treble and add a warm sound and smaller sound stage(on the stage itself).

Aug 4, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
So I will forgot the avr for now, should I get a sound card with a decent built-in headphone amp? Or do I need to buy an external? I don't mind buying a powered amp if it is worth it, I am just not sure what works best with the SR850. If you could suggest which sound card and if i need an amp (and which one ) as long as it is $200 or so I would be fine. Unless I don't even need to spend that much.

The Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, $30 and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month.
Can't really see a good reason for spending more then $20-$30 for a sound card, for use with a $50 headphone like the SR850.

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
The Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, $30 and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month.
Can't really see a good reason for spending more then $20-$30 for a sound card, for use with a $50 headphone like the SR850.

I think you are right. Just looking around, it seems with these headphones, they really don't need anything special to power them, and probably would not benefit at all from an external amp. My main use of this setup is gaming, so it has what I need at a cheap price. Unless someone thinks something drastically, I will probably be purchasing a Xonar DG. Now I just need to see what people are saying about Windows 8 support, because that is the BIG factor here...

Also from a PURE gaming standpoint, does Creative make a better card that is comparable? Good 3d audio with headphones?

Aug 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
I think you are right. Just looking around, it seems with these headphones, they really don't need anything special to power them, and probably would not benefit at all from an external amp. My main use of this setup is gaming, so it has what I need at a cheap price. Unless someone thinks something drastically, I will probably be purchasing a Xonar DG. Now I just need to see what people are saying about Windows 8 support, because that is the BIG factor here...
Also from a PURE gaming standpoint, does Creative make a better card that is comparable? Good 3d audio with headphones?

I've been using my Asus Xonar Essence STX with Win 8 for several months, seems to work fine (have not gamed with Win 8, just music and movies).
I myself do not see a lot of Xonar users complaining about gaming with the Xonar cards.
And you are looking at $80, for the Creative labs Sound Blaster Z

With a Sound blaster Titanium HD, $150 and a Schiit Magni, $99, you would have a great gaming setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back