Recommendations on an Amp/DAC
Jan 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mackem

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for an amp/DAC to use on my computer that can power 250Ω headphones as well as IEMs (Currently using Zero Audio Carbo Basso but looking to upgrade). I want something that preferably doesn't take up a lot of room but I have no plans on using it with a portable music player. Is there anything for under £100 GBP that will suit?

Do I go for something like an AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Fiio E07K, Fiio E17 or something else entirely?

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 7
Go even cheaper. Fiio E10!

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 7
Or I'm wondering if a sound card would suit more. The IEMs I use are 16 Ohm and the headphones I will use are 64 Ohm, but there is always potential for upgrades.

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 7
  Or I'm wondering if a sound card would suit more. The IEMs I use are 16 Ohm and the headphones I will use are 64 Ohm, but there is always potential for upgrades.

Normally you wouldn't even need an amp for IEM's. However, most sound card output impedances are pretty high, so it may not work with IEM's, typically you want a output impedance no higher than 1/8 the impedance of your headphones, so the sound card should have no higher than a 2ohm output impedance.

Fwiw, the E10 is pretty tiny, you won't even notice it.

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 7
So what sort of impedance would the E10 work sufficiently up to when it comes to headphones?

Perhaps saving and getting something that is more 'future-proof' would be good? Geek Out is also an option. I would be willing to stretch my budget a bit. I was reading this about the E10 as well..

I want something that will play nice with both low impedance IEMs but higher (250 or above) headphones if I do wish to upgrade. For now the headphones and IEMs I will use are 64 and 16 Ohms respectively.

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 7
  So what sort of impedance would the E10 work sufficiently up to when it comes to headphones?

Perhaps saving and getting something that is more 'future-proof' would be good? Geek Out is also an option. I would be willing to stretch my budget a bit. I was reading this about the E10 as well..

I want something that will play nice with both low impedance IEMs but higher (250 or above) headphones if I do wish to upgrade. For now the headphones and IEMs I will use are 64 and 16 Ohms respectively.

Fixed in the latest version of the E10. You can tell the difference in this picture.

As for the Geek Out, I don't think anybody has it yet, so you may want to wait for some reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back