Recommendations on a mp3 player in car setup
Apr 26, 2005 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nukeyboy

New Head-Fier
I have a Nakamichi CD-40z deck in my car and I connected the RCA-to-mini cables to the AUX-INPUT in the back.

I've tried hooking up a Muvo TX but was extremely disappointed by the sound quality and volume. I tried messing around with everything on the Muvo including the volume and EQ but had no luck. I have also read that the Ipod Shuffle gave similar disappointing results. The thing that confuses me is the claim that the Shuffle sounds better than all the other Ipods. Yet, I just read another post on this forum where someone hooked up a 10gb Ipod in their Honda using the aux-in rca cable setup and said it sounded great (also confirmed by 2 other people on that post)

So here are my main questions:
Will I get this same result with all flash-based digital music players when connecting it to a car stereo? Also, does the quality of the cable that I use to connect the mp3 player to the aux-input play a huge role in affecting SQ (radio shack vs. acoustic research from Best Buy)?

The main players I am currently considering are the Iaudio U2 and I5 and the Ipod Mini 4gb. And if you know of any other mp3 players that sound good in this car setup, please let me know.

Apr 26, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 8
Can't speak for any flash players, but the Sony NW-HD3 (line-out switchable) and iPod (4G and 2G photo) sound quite good in my car using line-out. Typically, it's better to have line-out capability and let the car stereo do most of the work in EQ and amping.

Apr 27, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 8
http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.636

works for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2005 at 5:21 AM Post #5 of 8
Ok so I've been doing a little more research. Can anyone tell me how the Rio Carbon sounds compared to the Ipod Mini? I found that on amazon.com the Carbon is selling for $150 after rebates, which seems like a hell of deal to me. Thanks for all the helpful replies so far!

Apr 28, 2005 at 8:57 AM Post #6 of 8
I think I've finally decided:

Ipod Mini 4gb (silver or pink...since my friend has green)
Sik Din

How's that? If anyone has any input before I pick it up feel free to chime in. Thanks for all your help!

Apr 29, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nukeyboy
So here are my main questions:
Will I get this same result with all flash-based digital music players when connecting it to a car stereo? Also, does the quality of the cable that I use to connect the mp3 player to the aux-input play a huge role in affecting SQ (radio shack vs. acoustic research from Best Buy)?

The main players I am currently considering are the Iaudio U2 and I5 and the Ipod Mini 4gb. And if you know of any other mp3 players that sound good in this car setup, please let me know.

The audio output section of the player itself and the cable will play a big part on the quality of the sound as will the encoding you use to store compressed music files on the player.

I have an old 2G 10gig ipod connected to my factory honda deck with AUX and it provides CD quality sound. The ipod audio circuitry is quite good and I encode mp3 using -alt-preset extreme and rip with EAC (google for these terms if you're not already familiar with them)

acoustic research rca-mini cable - at $12.99 from BestBuy you can't go wrong and it beats the hell out of radioshack crappy cables (thanks to Hirsch for recommending this in another post!). Model AP042
http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m...=803&e=11054074

no experience with any other flash based players but I did hook up an old portable CD player just to compare with the ipod. The portable CD player does not sound as good as the ipod via headphones and as expected it did not sound as good through the car speakers either so the main player has a lot to do with the sound output you hear. An old radioshack cable sounded horrible too and that is why I tried the acoustic research cable. Can't beat the price and bought a second one for my home stereo too. I hooked all this up about 2 years ago and still use it today - couldn't be happier with it and makes my 45 minute commute to work (each way) much more enjoyable.

Do yourself a favor and get a good player. You will appreciate it every time you use it.

good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back