Recommendations on a Amp/Headphone pairing for Rock/Metal/EDM that translates well into gaming.
Jul 15, 2014 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MajesticFreak

New Head-Fier
So I recently purchased a Bifrost w/Uber Analog running via coaxial off my Essence STX to my HD650s that is currently being driven by a HeadRoom Micro Amp. After upgrading, I decided that I want to purchase a new set of headphones that extends beyond of what my HD650s does. As I have read on these forums, choosing the headphones greatly affects the amp purchase.

My budget for the amp itself would be $600 and for the headphones, no more than $1200. 

What I like about the HD650s is that it provides me with a really good midrange with the bass and treble, but lacks on the bottom end with the bass. Personally when I listen to metal, I hear the double bass going, but I don't necessarily feel the energy that comes with it. Rather than being driven by the double bass itself, my ears are driven more by the guitars, snare drums, and cymbal crashes. I want a headphone that is a bit more beefier on the bass, but doesn't overlap the midrange and treble and becoming overwhelming over time. Also, I'm interested in a bigger sound stage considering what the HD650s already provide. The sound stage translates great for me in gaming specifically in games like Battlefield 3. The directional cues are spot on, and I get a great sense of immersion playing in games as well as listening to music. I'm hoping a bigger sound stage may add more to the immersion that I currently like.

Another big thing with headphones is comfort. The 650s fits nicely on my head and quickly disappears. I've gone hours with my 650s on while gaming, listening to music, watching movies, or simply blocking out noise. I don't want my headphones to become bothersome in short periods of time.

So far I'm leaning towards the Lyr 2 amp as it provides versatility to headphones of low and high impedance especially Orthos. Also, I can tube roll which can help me find the sound I'm looking for. It currently looks like the best amp to purchase at its price point right now. Plus it will complement my current Schiit. However, I considered the Crack, but it seems it works best with the HD650s as it was designed around it, but doesn't drive orthos that well.

I live alone and I'm not traveling with these so I could go either open or closed.  As of now, my current shortlist for headphones are:

HD800 - out of my price range, but I've seen used online on ebay for $1k
Audeze LCD-2
DT880/990
T1
HE-500/560 - Not sure about the 500s since I hear comfort is somewhat of an issue due to the fact that the damn thing weighs close to a pound. I hear the 560s are an improvement over the 500s in many areas especially in the comfort department.
Mad Dogs/Alpha Dogs
AKG Q701
V-Moda M-100

The downside to all of this is that I can't test drive them locally (not including the M-100), so buying online is the only option.

Any and all suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #2 of 4
It might be that you're just missing the harmonics within the bass notes which can bring them out - a valve amp might do it for you in that they are pretty good at picking out harmonics.

On reading your post the HiFiMAN might be a good choice - I have the HE-400 and the weight doesn't bother me. Great for bass extension, soundstage, imaging. However these may not be the best pairing with a valve amp, perhaps the 500/560 would be better.

Other than that I can heartily recommend the T1 as great all-rounders.

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 4
I think the T1 is the best pick out of all the ones I've listed. Reading reviews and seeing different perspectives compared to the other headphones on my shortlist leads me back to the T1 since like you said "is a great all-rounder." I could just buy them all and settle it with that, but my wallet would be in great pain.

Also, a tube amp is something I'm looking for and is needed to make the T1s sing as well as my HD650s.

Is there any other tube amps close to the Lyr 2's price range that can outdo it in performance and versatility?

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 4
All I might suggest is the Fostex HP-V1, it's a portable tube amp and picks up on the harmonics in rock music very well. 600 ohm headphones will be fine as I've used my AGK K240 successfully with it.

Tube amps might not be so great for gaming, but I have no experience with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back