recommendations of IEMs for drummer
Apr 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

percusski

New Head-Fier
Hi, first post on here. Been reading through posts for a while on the subject and the amount of info in overwhelming. Am based in the uk, will be using them as monitors for live playing, mainly to sequencers and also getting a band mix fed through to my own mixer, typical sort of thing. Going to have moulds taken and go from there. I guess will need minimum of 3 drivers? The T1s are a uk brand but don't mind looking abroad. The Alien ears looked appealing price-wise but have read mixed reports...the Em6s look good too.
Anyway interested to hear opinions.
Cheers

Nick

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks, that's another new name to me adding to the confusion lol...I'm willing to go up to the £750 mark in order to get a quality product, is it just subjectivity around this mark i.e. they are all good? Or is it that brands like livewires can offer the same at a more competitive price? For what i'll be using them for I agree isolation is v important maybe more important than sound quality although essential to be able to hear all instruments clearly.

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 11
I'd recomend checking out the thread that is a multi custom review, i do not own any customs, so i cannot speak for any of them.

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 11
Hi. I may be the only one to recommend universals, but I think you should do yourself the favor of checking out the Vsonic GR07. I used to play drums for my church back home, and I've been playing since the age of six. As far as universals go, I've never heard another iem that comes close to the way the GR07 renders drums. It's such a pleasure to listen to. You could check them out here from this authorized seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vsonic-GR07-R07-/320761139769?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item4aaeda9239#ht_674wt_1270

You'll have them far quicker than any custom company will take to receive impressions, make the iem, and send them out to you. Not to mention, they're FAR below your budget. I have a mini-review linked in my signature if it interests you. I'm not trying to plug any company, just looking out for a fellow drummer.

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 11
I highly doubt a vented dynamic would work well due to lack of isolation, but perhaps a reshelled one may? Throwing a (somewhat) insane idea out there. Universals in general might be a good idea, since they can potentially isolate better than customs; customs generally cut out ~26dB, whereas some universals do up to 35-42dB. (Shure, Etymotic, Westone w/i olives)

But otherwise, it might be a good idea to check out some of Unique Melody's offerings.

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
I highly doubt a vented dynamic would work well due to lack of isolation, but perhaps a reshelled one may? Throwing a (somewhat) insane idea out there. Universals in general might be a good idea, since they can potentially isolate better than customs; customs generally cut out ~26dB, whereas some universals do up to 35-42dB. (Shure, Etymotic, Westone w/i olives)

But otherwise, it might be a good idea to check out some of Unique Melody's offerings.

I've found that complete isolation is not ideal when playing live instruments. Besides, the GR07 is no slouch at isolation despite it not being as good as sealed BAs

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
Thanks, that's another new name to me adding to the confusion lol...I'm willing to go up to the £750 mark in order to get a quality product, is it just subjectivity around this mark i.e. they are all good? Or is it that brands like livewires can offer the same at a more competitive price? For what i'll be using them for I agree isolation is v important maybe more important than sound quality although essential to be able to hear all instruments clearly.

Hi guy! nice budget In this case you can see at JH audio with alot of model an prices and very popular for good customer service, anyway the customs are based on balanced armatures that provides a very good instrumental separation and clearly sound

Apr 17, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #9 of 11
I've found that complete isolation is not ideal when playing live instruments. Besides, the GR07 is no slouch at isolation despite it not being as good as sealed BAs

I intend to get a feed which includes the drums and band back into my mixer, what's important to me is looking after my hearing so prefer isolation, definitely not one in one out as I've seen some people do :wink:
The Unique Melody look good and the reviews on here are v impressive, they seem to operate out of someone's front room - no showroom, they are legit right?
How would they compare to the T1s?

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #10 of 11
The GR07s actually have good isolation despite being vented. I now use mine with tri-flange tips and its isolation can come close to Etymotics which are also quite known for offering great isolation.

Other than that, based on what I have been reading, perhaps you should look into the Unique Melody Merlin.

EDIT: Oh and I second what eke2k6 said about the GR07's ability to reproduce drums. I really enjoy it's ability to add weight, and also gives that sense of power behind each kick off the bass drum. 
L3000.gif

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #11 of 11
Perhaps, though I cannot say with any certainty, the Aurisonics ASG-1 or AS-1's would be up your alley. They are meant/tuned for musicians in a performance type setting. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back