Recommendations, iPod Classic + Grado SR225 + Amp + Dock Cable?
Oct 12, 2007 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jerikl

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for some recommendations, some help from this great community to guide me in the right direction. In short, I am searching for a new amplifier (and new dock/cable) that will match well with Grado SR225s sourced by an iPod Classic.

On to some details. My current set-ups are:
  1. Home: iPod Classic (ALAC or AAC-160) + Sik Ram Din Dock Connector + SuperMacro-III v3 + Grado 1/4" to 1/8" Adapter + Grado SR225 Headphones
  2. Home2: (Non-Headphone) MacBook Pro + EMU-0404USB + M-Audio BX5a Monitors
  3. Work: iPhone (AAC-160) + RadTech Cable + Grado SR80 Headphones

I listen/groove mostly at the computer (MacBook Pro), so a portable amplifier with a DAC sounds nice. Still though, most of the time I'll probably use the iPod as source. Who knows.

I also have a PA2V2 that I just recently bought, but I think I'm going to get rid of it. There's not much of a purpose for me to have more than one amp (might keep it as a backup if I decide to upgrade the SM3v3 before selling). Anyway, I'd like to sell both of the amps to fund the purchase. I'm in by no means strapped for cash, but I'd rather save it or buy music.

Both the iBasso D1 and Leckerton UHA-3 look nice. I love a nice tubey sound (like an old ASL MG-Head OTL or much more expensive AudioValve RKV Mk II). From the D1/UHA-3/Move comparison review, I liked the description of the UHA-3 sounding warmer, smoother. This sounds appealing. With some op-amp rolling, the D1 appears to be able to get to the type of sound I want. Who knows -- the right sound might come stock with iBasso's newest updates.

So, here are my main Questions:

1) Why can't I just be happy with what I've got? (Duh this is HeadFi!) Am I stupid to sell the SuperMacro for a cheaper amp?
2) How will something like the iBasso D1 compare with the SM3v3?
3) Should I get Xin to upgrade the SuperMacro (and thus be without for who knows how long)? Possibly do this before selling if I'm going to sell?
4) Is the Sik Ram Din worth upgrading? Maybe to ALO Cyro Dock or something similar?
5) Most importantly, what amplifier will match well with Grados?

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions ahead of time!

BTW -- my 400th post. It only took me over 6 years. Maybe in another 6-7 I'll reach 1000!

Oct 12, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #2 of 16
My setup right now is

iPod 5.5G 30GB --> Qables Performance --> Meier Corda Move --> SR225

I'm really enjoying this setup, the Move has alot of the qualities of my old Headfive, a nice detailed, warm sound that lets the SR225 shine. I got the Qables Performance because I didn't want any silver ICs brightening my sound, the Grados are bright enough as they are, for me anyway.

Anyway, to answer your main questions.

1. You might be
tongue.gif
, one of the advantages of the SuperMacro is that you can roll the opamps on it. You might be wise to research and experiment with different opamps on your SuperMacro to find a sound closer to your liking.

2. iBasso, in it's stock configuration is not a great amp. The SM3v3 however is a pretty legendary amp. If you do get the iBasso D1, you should swap the opamps and buffers on it (as was done in Skylabs review) to get a better sound out of it.

3. Do you really want to be without your amp for that long? And if you're going to sell it, the potential owner should be aware that SM3v3 that it can be upgraded and take that into consideration when deciding what its worth.

4. Yes, the Ram Din is not a great interconnect. I had two, and both ended up shorting out (which is strange since I also have a regular Din in my car which hasn't had a problem in the 3 and half years I've had it). I'd suggest anything copper for an IC. The Grados are pretty bright, so you dont need anything in your chain brightening them further.

5. I find the latest batch of Meier amps pair very well with Grados. They have a warm, almost 'tubey' sound to them (as tubey as a SS amp can be) which always goes well with Grados. And I love my Move with my SR225
tongue.gif
. Take that how you will...

Oct 12, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 16
cmirza -- thank you, I really appreciate your input. I had sort-of ruled out the Corda Move after hearing that it's DAC wasn't all that great, but I plan on listening with the iPod the majority of the time (if not 100%) so I suppose it doesn't really matter.

1) I just rolled some tonight actually, from OPA227P to the AD744 in class-a.

2) I was planning on swapping the opamps and buffers on the iBasso D1 unless the newly upgraded stuff is better.

3) Of course not!

4) Thanks for the suggestion on the Qables Performance. I hadn't come across that yet and it seems to be a decent price.

5) This is exactly what I want to hear
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 16
The Corda Move's DAC is not 'bad' by any measure. I'd say it's about the same in detail and SQ with my stock iPod 5.5G. You just have to make sure that you have a good USB port. Experiment with different USB ports on your machine. If you're using a laptop and getting bad SQ on all ports, try a self powered hub to avoid the noisy laptop power. If you're used to stand alone DACs, you'll be disappointed, if you're used to your iPod's line out, you should be satisfied.

Oct 12, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

1) Why can't I just be happy with what I've got? (Duh this is HeadFi!) Am I stupid to sell the SuperMacro for a cheaper amp?
2) How will something like the iBasso D1 compare with the SM3v3?
3) Should I get Xin to upgrade the SuperMacro (and thus be without for who knows how long)? Possibly do this before selling if I'm going to sell?
4) Is the Sik Ram Din worth upgrading? Maybe to ALO Cyro Dock or something similar?
5) Most importantly, what amplifier will match well with Grados?

1. Has no answer, just spend more money.
wink.gif

2. The iBasso D1 will destroy the SM3V3. Specially if you roll some op-amps.
3. Fine, but it will take a while before you get it back. Get the D1 now!
4. IMO, yes. I would go w/ a Turbo 11, or Revelation Audio.
5. If portable the D1 w/ different op-amps, or the MiniBox-E, or the SR-71.

Good luck.

Oct 13, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 16
mrarroyo -- the iBasso D1 will DESTROY the SM3v3? Really!? I'm curious why you also recommend the SR-71 then. I thought the SM3 and SR-71 were fairly serious contenders at one time? I've already put my name on "the list" with iBasso regardless.

Also, thanks for the recommendations on the iPod LODs.

I'm starting to think we should file a class-action lawsuit against Head-Fi for ... making information available which leads to depleted wallets (kidding, of course).

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #8 of 16
for you LOD, I would HIGHLY recommend APureSound's carbon/cotton dock. I A/B tested one against several other LODs at a meet we had here in Dallas last year. Not only did it sound better than ALL of them, it was also much cheaper cost wise. The wire is silver coated copper. Alex's cables are THE BEST!

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #9 of 16
I use an SR-71 with my 225s (fitted with ttvj flats) and an ALO Cotton dock. Fabulous and thoroughly recommended!

Oct 16, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #10 of 16
Here's my setup: 5g 30GB iPod > Ram Din > GoVibe > Grado SR60s. For my purposes I think it sounds just great, and much better than going through the headphone out. This combo smooths out some of the Grado high end and boosts the bass, plus adding an overall warmness I really like.

Compared to other portable rigs mine is on the low end, but it suits my needs. Upgrading to better components (such as a superior line out cable or higher end amp) will undoubtedly yield better sound, but you have to decide if the additional cost is worth the improvement. In my case, the answer is no.

If my songs were all in Lossless format it might be worth buying a $100 line out cable and $200 amp (not to mention better 'phones,) but that isn't the case.

Good luck in your sonic quest.

Oct 16, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #11 of 16
Thanks everybody for your responses and help. I've decided to go with the iBasso D1 and TURBO LOD. This will be a more flexible set-up for me I believe (and hopefully sound better too!). I should have an SM3v3 and PA2V2 for sale sometime soon.

Oct 16, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFaust /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for you LOD, I would HIGHLY recommend APureSound's carbon/cotton dock. I A/B tested one against several other LODs at a meet we had here in Dallas last year. Not only did it sound better than ALL of them, it was also much cheaper cost wise. The wire is silver coated copper. Alex's cables are THE BEST!

Thanks for making me want a new LOD before the one I bought has even gotten here
580smile.gif

I bought this from Barqy a few days ago

1.jpg

It's made from a gold plated Neutriks plug and 24awg mil spec SPC wire.

Is there really going to be that huge of an improvement with the APureSound LOD?

Oct 17, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #13 of 16
Oh man, no way am I going to start obsessing over LODs. I've got to hurry up and get my stuff and go back to the music forums. Please hurry iBasso and save me from the insanity! Maybe I should have went with the APureSound too -- oh well.

Oct 18, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 16
Hey thanks trickywombat -- I'm very familiar with opamp rolling (w/a Xin SuperMacro3), and it's original counterpart, tube rolling (w/an ASL MG-Head OTL). It can be tons of fun for sure (and maybe a little too much of -- what if? instead of enjoying the music).

I almost went a little crazy last night, thinking about getting the Leckerton UHA-3 instead. BUT, I decided I'll just wait it out until the D1 becomes available again. Skylab's preference order of the D1 / Move / UHA-3 tells me I should be patient.
smily_headphones1.gif

And I'm sure the RSA Predator will be a very nice amp, but I expect the price will be over $400. If there's an introductory price around $300 and it comes out before the D1 is available, I might jump on it if the specs are good (battery sounds awesome for sure).

Oct 19, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #15 of 16
I have a headphonia amp, I believe the op amps are ad8397. I also have grado sr225 headphones, which I love. I think these headphones sound great with ad8397 based amps. I also think that the higher the bitrate the better . I think lossless or a bitrate of 320 is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back