Recommendations: Great reggae CDs with great quality production
Apr 11, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this really a dedicated source component question?

A matter of interpretation really . . . . is the CD or the CD player or the source?
biggrin.gif

Check out Bob Marley, especially the MFSL versions, perhaps start with Exodus.

Apr 11, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 19
If it is reggae you want to know about, welcome to my collection
biggrin.gif

KEN BOOTHE - Everything I Own
One of reggae's most enduring and influential artists, Ken Boothe began his career singing ska in the early 60s, slowing down his style with rocksteady, and eventually defining the American soul/reggae blend that's captured so many ears as of late. Blessed with one of the sweetest voices ever, his Jamaican-inflected versions of American soul staples ("Is it Because I'm Black"; "Ain't No Sunshine"; "Let's Get it On") are some of the most moving and gentle performances ever.

DENNIS BOVELL - Decibel
The man at the center of English reggae/dub-Dennis Bovell is one of the heaviest producers of the 70s/80s and this double LP collects 16 of his most rare dub and instrumentals as well as a couple of outstanding vocal tracks.

DENNIS BROWN - Wolf & Leopards
1977 compilation of Dennis Brown's groundbreaking work with the brilliant producer Niney The Observer. A roots classic, full of seminal hits and razor sharp social commentary by the man Bob Marley called "the best reggae singer in the world."

GLEN BROWN - Glen Brown and Friends
Glen Brown, aka "The Rhythm Master" and creator of some of the heaviest dub rhythms in the history of reggae. This LP starts with the immortal "Dirty Harry" rhythm that made his career and goes on to show a huge range of DJ, dub and vocal interpretations of the track.

BURNING SPEAR - Marcus Garvey
Their third LP from 1975 was the one that put not only Burning Spear into the minds of listeners everywhere but also defined the roots movement--the churning, unstoppable rhythm, the unapologetically political content, the chanted vocals, and the deep, atmospheric production.

CHAKA DEMUS & PLIERS - All She Wrote
"Murder She Wrote" is one of the greatest songs of the last 15 years, period. Totally melancholy and energetic dancehall, calling out the girls "with the angel face and the devil heart"; Chaka Demus spitting so hard and furious while Pliers sings so sweet.

JIMMY CLIFF - The Harder They Come
One of the most recognised names in reggae music after Bob Marley. The soundtrack to the reggae film The Harder They Come was a huge success that sold well across the world, but did not break Cliff into the mainstream.

DEB MUSIC PLAYERS - House of Dub
1979 headnodding scorcher, produced by Dennis Brown (!) and featuring a grip of studio talent including Sly and Robbie, Ansel Collins, and Cedric Brooks. The A side is full of all time classic rhythms while the B side digs into rare and exciting dubplates. This record is one of the greatest rescued reggae records ever!

DESMOND DEKKER - Israelites: Best of
This is what's called "universal music"; songs that are so great and speak to such basic truths that anyone that likes music will love them. More soulful than soul, rocks harder than rock and roll, and an absolute groundbreaker for reggae.

DILLINGER - CB200
The debut LP from this Jamaican heavyweight is rhythmically about as stony and dense as a record can get but the heavy dub tracks are cut through with some of the most inventive and acidic toasting the world has ever seen.

DILLINGER - Ranking Dillinger
Subtitled "None Stop Disco Style," this LP shows Dillinger at his fiery best, lighting up dancefloors and laying out wisdom with the ease and confidence of a village elder.

PHYLLIS DILLON - One Life to Live
Phyllis Dillons remarkable versatility-from tough and gritty roots tracks to light hearted, jumping love songs-plus her brilliant host of producers means her career is basically a flawless stream of hits. Really moving and emotional music, like she heard Aretha Franklin and thought "I can do that" but the Jamaican filter gave it her own thing.

MIKEY DREAD - African Anthem
Total molasses rumble dub music, really effect heavy and moving, total enveloping head-nod. The cuts get so minimal and bass heavy at times it feels like you're listening with some other, sixth sense the low gurgle and grind rocking your skeleton more than your ears. The some whimsical glockenspiel melody comes in and carries you away like a merry-go-round; man this record feels like dreaming, its drift is so unpredictable and the sounds so leftfield there's no way to guess what's coming next.

DON DRUMMOND - The Best of Don Drummond
Genius songwriter and trombone player, founding member of the Skatalites, composer of over 300 classic reggae cuts (during a career that lasted only ten years), victim of mental illness, tragic hero. His creative and spiritual energy was one of the driving forces behind the development of Reggae.

JOE GIBBS AND THE PROFESSIONALS - African Dub All-Mighty Vol. 1
Some of the most important dub material from one of Jamaica's finest producers, the African Dub All-Mighty series was a landmark string of instrumental dub LPs, not so heavily reliant on sound effects but much more interested in creating solid, resonant rhythms. Volume One includes reworkings of the Techniques' classic "Love is Not a Gamble" riddim, dubs of Dennis Brown's classic vocal work, and some sweet medleys, including "Universal Dub" which brings together Burning Spear, Jackie Mittoo and Ken Boothe. Classic dub material and absolutely legendary tracks.

JOE GIBBS AND THE PROFESSIONALS - African Dub All-Mighty Vol. 2
Volume Two includes the massive "Angola Crisis", which was a remake of Alton Ellis' "I'm Still in Love" but became the rhythm for Althea & Donna's hit "Uptown Top Ranking". Also included is some top notch playing by the Studio One backing band Sound Dimension.

JOE GIBBS AND THE PROFESSIONALS - African Dub All-Mighty Vol. 3
Volume Three, released in 1978, was the best selling of the series and is credited with bringing dub to the world market. The opening track, "Chapter Three", is a remake of Augustus Pablo's dub anthem "Rockers Meet King Tubby's Uptown" and is one of the greatest versions ever.

JOE GIBBS AND THE PROFESSIONALS - African Dub All-Mighty Vol. 4
Volume Four features killer versions of some of Studio One's biggest anthems, including a tripped-out take on Dawn Penn's "No No No", a churning, rhythm heavy version of the Heptones' classic "Fattie Fattie" and some growling re-works of Dennis Brown classics.

THE HEPTONES - Cool Rasta
1976 LP from this rocksteady vocal group features a bunch of 1973 recordings and adds two classic cuts--"Cool Rasta" and "Dreadlock."

THE HEPTONES - Party Time
One of reggae's definitive vocal groups, the Heptones had their rocksteady sound cut by Lee Perry's keen production on this 1977 LP. A uniquely harmonious yet rhythm heavy record, with a killer version of "I Shall Be Released" alongside their trademark social commentary and powerful, dramatic delivery.

JOHN HOLT - 18 Greatest Hits
Top-notch, varied early reggae courtesy of the lead vocalist of the Paragons. Focusing on the extremely fertile late 60s/early 70s era of his career all 18 tracks were produced by Studio One's Coxsone Dodd. The selections demonstrate the rich variety of his skill - sometimes moody, sometimes happy-go-lucky, sometimes with early dubbish effects, sometimes with echoes of Motown-inspired soul; always sweetly sung, smooth and lovely, from that time when rocksteady was fixing its identity and becoming what we now call reggae.

KEITH HUDSON - Flesh of My Skin Blood of My Blood
This gloomy, stomach-churningly bass heavy LP is the one that earned Huson the nickname "Dark Prince of Reggae." Fearsome, political and apocalypse-bringing, a deadly serious and entirely unforgettable LP from the haunted and pain filled year of 1974.

JUNIOR MURVIN - Police & Thieves
One of the essential reggae LPs, with Lee Perry's classic Black Arc production, politically charged and damning material delivered by the sweet voiced, broken hearted Jr. Murvin. The beauty and strength of this record almost justifies the ugly brutality of the world which produced it. Classic!!

KING JAMMY - The Rhythm King
Amazing hits collection from one of the finest dancehall producers--the man behind the famous "Sleng Teng" rhythm (um, listen to M.I.A.?) and the responsible for the digital revolution that followed (Sleng Teng was Jamaica's first all-digital rhythm).

LUI LEPKI - Late Night Movie
Excellent album, all the killer Joe Gibbs riddims! Lone Ranger DJ-style, but with hard lyrics! It even features the Ranking Dread "Fattie Boom Boom" rhythm! Lepki's grimy, crime-infested dancehall style shine bright over these productions, even his positive songs like "Go to School" sound downright sinister.

BARRINGTON LEVY - In Dub: The Lost King Tubby Mixes
Totally nuts, loping, and far out treatments of Barrington Levy's sweet dancehall style. The crossover between dub and dancehall is a pretty narrow space, and arguably didn't hit much higher than this. The spacing is huge on this record, open and resonant, with plenty of crazy knob twiddling and sounds that phase, twist, and disappears like phantoms. The rhythms are massive, commanding, and then Levy's sweet voice comes sailing through, holding onto vowels way too long and then getting buried again in the maelstrom of sound.

BOB MARLEY - Exodus
Possibly Marley's most successful LP of all time, 1977's "Exodus" .

THE MAYTALS - From the Roots
Toots & the Maytals 1973 LP is full of the tough, vital music and powerful, hypnotic grooves that defined their sound. Soulful, vocal driven originals with stellar Byron Lee production, includes their heart-rending version of "Give Peace a Chance."

FREDDIE MCGREGOR - Bobby Babylon
Freddie McGregor is one of Studio One's most enduring vocalists, having cut singles as a solo artist and with his group the Clarendonians since the 1960s. His debut LP from 1980, "Bobby Babylon," is a stone classic, showcasing his incredibly sweet, warm vocals. Coxsone Dodd's production is top-notch throughout; infectious, bouncy, sultry and emotive - the definition of lovers rock. McGregor's fabulous sense of melody, rich vocals and passionate performances gives weight to his track selection, which features many of Jamaica's most well-loved songs.

THE MEDITATIONS - Guidance
One of reggae's most phenomenally talented vocal trios, the beautiful harmonies of the Meditations grace many classic LPs, from "The Heart of the Congos" to Jr. Murvin's "Police and Thieves" to Bob Marley's "Blackman Redemption." One of Lee Perry's favourite vocal groups, the three took the grace and style of the Wailers and made some of the sweetest reggae music the world has ever heard.

SUGAR MINOTT - Inna Reggae Dance Hall
Sugar Minott's impact on Jamaica's dancehall scene can not be overstated; his production aesthetic, vocal styles and constant growth have marked him a true innovator of the art form. while his golden era is considered the late 70s-early 80s, "Inna Reggae Dance Hall", from 1986 shows a whole new angle of the genius. Hot on the heels of the digital era as signaled by "Sleng Teng", Sugar Minott decided to make a ragga LP, embracing the new sound's electronic, synthesized soul with a relaxed, in-control attitude.

NINEY THE OBSERVER - Sledgehammer Dub
King Tubbys dubs of classic Niney the Observer rhythms. Niney was one of the finest roots producers ever, Tubby one of the finest dub producers ever. This record? Everything you'd hope it to be and even more.

PRINCE JAZZBO - Ital Corner
Absolute classic! Prince Jazzbo was one of the first Jamaican DJs to tie social commentary and Rastafari ideals to classic rhythms. "Ital Corner" means living right and was produced by Lee Perry at the height of his career, making this LP one of the most important DJ records ever. Immortal!

PETER TOSH - Legalize It
Several decades ago, Peter Tosh formed a vocal trio, the Wailers (then called the Wailing Rudeboys), with Bob Marley and Bunny Livingston. On Legalize It Tosh is backed by the Wailers' instrumental quintet and two of the I-Threes—Rita Marley and Judy Mowatt—who replaced Tosh and Livingston when they quit the band. Legalize It is the first Wailers album without Bob Marley, and it shows how much the Wailers have missed the sonorous, strictly moral vocals and chopping rhythm guitar of Tosh and the uplifting harmonies of Livingston.
"Legalize It," an endorsement for the smoking of herbs, was the reggae single in Jamaica in 1975. It was instantly banned by both Jamaican radio stations, which only made the song more popular. Deep and authoritative, Tosh demands: "Legalize it and I will advertise it" while the singers coo in agreement. It's a wonderful, impassioned performance comparable to Wailers hits like "400 Years" and "Get Up, Stand Up," which Tosh also wrote.

YABBY U - King Tubby's Prophecy of Dub
The first collaboration between Yabby U and King Tubby is a classic dub LP; Tubby unearths stumbling rhythms, echo heavy horns and swelling melodic grit from the original cuts, creating a tasteful and eternally satisfying clutch of variations on Yabby U's excellent, soulful and religious rhythms.

Apr 11, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 19
Wow. Don't get me wrong, I'm a longtime reggae fan and have an extensive downloaded iTunes collection of reggae music. But, I'm definitely interested in (and totally thank you for) your list, as it contains many new names.

My problem is that I downloaded much of my collection before I became aware of this site and before I saw the merits of great headphones, great amps, Apple lossless and other tools that vastly improve SQ. So, what I want to do is now purchase some of the CDs that are really well-recorded and that will show off the benefits of improved hardware and better transfers.

Thanks.

Apr 11, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A matter of interpretation really . . . . is the CD or the CD player or the source?

Great point...the quality of the mastering has a much bigger influence on your overall SQ than the quality of the CD player...source first indeed!

Bob Marley's Survival is one of the best sounding reggae album's I've ever heard, although I wouldn't neglect a lot of the stuff on Herandu's list.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #9 of 19
I'll probably be kicked in the nuts for suggesting this even as a curiosity, but a friend recently turned me on to Sinead O'Connor's 2005 album of roots reggae covers called "Throw Down Your Arms." Recorded in Jamaica with Sly and Robbie producing, it has some killer arrangements and, as nuts as she is, the woman can sing. The disc itself is mastered hot, but not horrible.

Apr 11, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 19
Sound quality wise.
"Bellow the Bassline" by Ernest Ranglin is tops.

Pretty much any Black Uhuru album is supper Sly and Robbie.
Steel Pulse all have very good production.
Augustus Pablo comes to mind as well.

The UK based bands seems to have a bit "better" recordings and reproductions in general than the Jamaicans, hings on the Island label
are pretty solid.

This my favorite of all time.
YouTube - Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets The Rockers Uptown

May 1, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #13 of 19
You might want to consider RAS MEK PEACE by Midnite. This recording is from the excellent Maple Shade Records (Mapleshade Records). It is their only reggae recording but everything that I have from them sounds great including this reggae album.

May 2, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #15 of 19
Some of my favorites from the past couple of years with modern production qualities:

Sizzla - Waterhouse Redemption
Lutan Fyah - Phantom War
I Wayne - Book Of Life
Morgan Heritage - Mission In Progress
Roots Underground - Movement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back