Recommendations: Good AM/FM Pocket radio?
Jun 7, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 5
I have a Sangean DT200V that I'm pretty happy with. Digital tuning. Built in 1" speaker (rare these days in something this size) in addition to earphone jack. I use it almost exclusively for AM, so I really can't comment on the FM reception. On AM it's amazing what it can pull in considering its size. That said, AM reception on any radio this size is going to be limited by the size of the antenna.

I also have a Tecsun R919 that does a pretty decent job. This one is analog with digital display. It also has a built in speaker and earphone jack. Because it also receives SW, it has a whip antenna built in as well. The whip can be used as an adjunct to the built in ferrite bar antenna on MW. This can be a great help on weak signal reception. The R919 is not sold in the US, but they are available on ebay for about $30 delivered. One negative with the R919 is that it doesn't tune the very end of the US X-band, so this may not be the right choice if you listen to stations about 1650 or so. Eton sells a US version of this radio as the Grundig Mini 300. Since it's designed for the US market I'm sure it will tune all the way to 1700kHz. The Grundig version lists for $40.

Jun 8, 2004 at 12:24 PM Post #4 of 5
I own one of those sony pocket radios thats linked to above and its very good, but I have to say that the pocket radio I have from a company called Roberts is a lot better than it. I'm not sure where you go about looking for stuff from them in the states (they may be fairly common for all i know) but they are worth looking out for.

Jun 8, 2004 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 5
I'm not familiar enough with the entire Sangean line to say if all the Roberts models are Sangeans underneath, but several of them are clearly rebadged or slightly modified Sangean radios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back