Recommendations for Tube/Hybrid Amp in $400 range
Aug 14, 2009 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

xuan87

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, recently I've decided to upgrade from my Little Dot MKIII tube amp. Nothing wrong with the amp, it gave fantastic performance for what I've paid for it, but I just think that it's time to move one step above.

I've set my eyes on 2 amps, Little Dot MKIV se and the Millett Minimax Tube amp. The former because I can still use my 50 plus tubes from the MKIII to tube roll, the latter because it has much cheaper shipping than the MKIV se, but still garners equally good reviews.

I'll like to hear from the more experienced head-fiers if they have any other recommendations that I've overlooked. thanks.

Aug 15, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 7
just like to add, the darkvoice 3322 is within my budget, and to sweeten the deal, it uses the same driver tubes as the MKIII. however shipping is a whopping $80. The Mini Millett Max is starting to look more and more attractive.

Aug 15, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 7
I've heard the MKIII and I would probably not be happy with it as my only amp due to my varied genres and listening habits (I sometimes like to play my music louder than is healthy for my ears). I can tell you that my MKIVse is a whole other animal from the MKIII. I've had mine for about 6 months and I've been very happy with it. I really haven't even tried much tube rolling either. I never felt it lacking in any area so since I don't fix what aint broke I've been happy to stick with the tubes I got from LD. (of coarse they are upgraded tubes from the MKIV)

For $400 it's really a fantastic amp imo.

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard the MKIII and I would probably not be happy with it as my only amp due to my varied genres and listening habits (I sometimes like to play my music louder than is healthy for my ears). I can tell you that my MKIVse is a whole other animal from the MKIII. I've had mine for about 6 months and I've been very happy with it. I really haven't even tried much tube rolling either. I never felt it lacking in any area so since I don't fix what aint broke I've been happy to stick with the tubes I got from LD. (of coarse they are upgraded tubes from the MKIV)

For $400 it's really a fantastic amp imo.

Hey Cswann, are you using any low impedance headphones with your MKIVse? If so, does it seem to have plenty of juice to drive them, and sound good etc.?

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by runswithaliens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Cswann, are you using any low impedance headphones with your MKIVse? If so, does it seem to have plenty of juice to drive them, and sound good etc.?

I had a pair of AKG K701's for a while, which are said too be very picky about amplification and hard to drive well. I thought the MKIVse did a fine job.

I placed an order for a pair of Denon AH-D7000's which show to be delivered tomorrow by FedEx's website. They are 25ohm cans and I'm a little anxious about how well the LD will do with them. I'm prepared to upgrade to a new amp if I have to though.

I'll post again after I have had a little time with the Denons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back