Recommendations for this vinyl beginner
May 30, 2009 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

1000+ Head-Fier
I'll just cut down to the specs:

Turntable: Thorens TD125
Tonearm: SME 3009 ii improved in mint condition

Front End: SP Extreme, Luxman P1, Stax SRM007ta (tube version), with various headphones (too many to list, I'll just find what gives me the most synergy from my lot). NO SPEAKERS.

Cartridge suggestions?

Phono suggestions? (almost close to pulling the trigger on Cambridge Audio 640P)

I'm having trouble finding what current cartridges are compatible with the tonearm. I've heard great things on the Audio Technica AT44MLa, but haven't found any links of it being used with the SME 3009 ii improved.

I'm open to all suggestions on the phono stage and on the cartridge. The table and tonearm are set, though. Fixed part of the system. I cannot change that.

May 31, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm a big fan of the Cambridge 640p. You would have to spend a lot more money to get an improvement over it.

The Thorens is a great turntable. There are also aftermarket upgrades to improve it down the road if you wish. You may never want to replace it.

The SME 3009 was quite a common combination with the table. It's a good arm, but there are better if you ever decide to upgrade. For now, they work very well together.
You do have the S2 Imp with the detachable headshell? The reason I ask is that there are many SME 3009's, ranging from 12.5g effective mass to 6.5g. The S2 Imp is 9.5g. This will have an effect on the cartridges that can be used. Here is a link that will help identify the arm if you are unsure.

SME 3009 / 3012

If you do have the S2 Imp, then the AT440mla will work in it. I've never heard the combination, but I have read of people using it quite happily. I've owned the 440ml. It sounds like you've researched it, so all I will add is that I found the bass tight, but a little lean. I was happy with it overall.

I've owned the SME and regardless of what you may read, moving coil cartridges will not work at their best in this arm. The knife-edge bearings are far too wobbly and a lot of information is lost. A Denon DL103 sounds very good in the original SME 3009 II, but the effective mass of that arm is 12.5g.

The Shure V15 Type III was the classic match for the arm and sounds very good with it. You would have to buy the cartridge used since it is long discontinued, but there is a great aftermarket replacement stylus available from Jico.

Obviously budget enters into the equation, but the cartridges I would recommend are, from best to worse
1. Grado Sonata (the best sound I've ever heard with this arm)
2. AT150mlx
3. Shure V15 type III with Jico stylus.
4. AT440mla
5. Shure M97xe (almost the exact opposite sound to the 440mla)

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 5
I also own the Cambridge 640p and I love it. For the cartridge, I haven't listened to many , but I am extremely impressed with the Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood MM cartridge.

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 5
I have the same table and tonearm. As stated the V15iii is the classic match up. I liked the AT44MLa but not as much as the v15iii. Grado black not good for my set up, Nagaoka MP11 Ok not great, a good one that is a bit of a sleeper is the ADC QLM36mkiii. A XLM or ZLM from ADC may be good as well.

As far a phono pre I've really only had a few pass through my hands and they have all been vintage. Right now I'm using an aptHolman preamp that's doing quite well but YMMV.

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll just cut down to the specs:

Turntable: Thorens TD125
Tonearm: SME 3009 ii improved in mint condition

Unless you listen to mostly classical music, where the SME really shines with the right cart, I'd ditch it in favour of something more recent which will work with a wider range of modern carts and allow an eventual upgrade to a nice MC cart. High compliance carts which match your arm are pretty thin on the ground these days.

The 3009 S2 Improved isn't one of the most highly regarded SME arms but it's still an SME and plenty of nostalgic people will pay top dollar for a mint one.

I'd flog it and get hold of an Origin Live modified Rega arm with a good basic modern cart. This is what I ended up with on my TD125 after trying various Linn and SME arms, and it's the best you can do without breaking the bank, working well with any kind of music and sounding much better than the old 3009.

You will also need to get a new armboard cut for the Thorens unless you can find one on ebay but this is pretty straightforward. Otherwise Soundsupports in the UK sell a pre-cut adaptor plate which fits on top of the existing board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back