Recommendations for the Jazz-Rock fusion genre?
Aug 2, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Caravanserai by Santana is also a great listen.

There must have been a shift in teminology.When I was a teenager Caravanserai certainly didn't qualify for the jazz rock genre.We did call stuff like that latin rock.
Well, doesn't matter since Caravanserai is also one of the gratest records ever.For some it might be an added benefit that it's way easier accessible for the uninitiated than some of the other music mentioned in this thread.

Aug 2, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by javahut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the best all time classic jazz rock fusion bands, and also one of the most under appreciated...

Certainly not by me, and believe it or not when I was young literally everyone and his brother was listening to Brand X in my neighborhood. Quote:

Brand X. Their first four "official" releases "Unorthodox Behaviour", "Moroccan Roll", "Livestock" & "Masques" are all monsters. Percy Jones on bass, John Goodsall - guitar, both monsters. Along with an equally adept sometimes varying personel line-up that included Robin Lumley on keys & synths, Morris Pert on percussion, and several different drummers, including Kenwood Dennard and the before anyone ever heard of him Phil Collins.

As far as I can remember Phil Collins was already kind of famous although Peter Gabriel was still clearly the front man of Genesis.
It was always fun when dissing him was in vogue during the late eighties to ask people what they have against one of the best drummers alive.
They were usually not aware of the fact that his career as a singer was kinda accidental and that he had a former life as an excellent drummer.

My personal favorite is Unorthodox Behaviour although Moroccan Roll is more coherent. Quote:

I wish they'd do some serious remastering of at least those early Brand X releases.

I think the SQ isn't bad.I'm listening to Morrocan Roll from CD at the moment and the SQ is good enough to lose myself into the music.My Stax Omega II (extremely resolving and forgiving at the same time) might help a bit.
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #34 of 38
Inspired by this thread I've searched through my collection this evening.
Well, I tried but as soon as I listened to some age old Gong tunes the task was forgotten.Gong excisted for decades in one form or another but the styles varied widely and in our context mostly the years from 1975 -1980 are relevant.
1975 – Shamal
1976 – Gazeuse!
1979 – Time is the Key
1979 – Downwind
are my favorite Gong jazz rock albums.
Well, at the moment I'm listening to Expresso II from 1978, and it's not shabby either.
Anyway, the four aforementioned albums are absolutely mandatory for anyone that likes the genre.Anyone not familar with Gong should at least try Time is the Key .I've just switched to that album and I'm so enjoyed I have tears in my eyes.
I haven't heard this album for years.
This is one of the moments that makes all the trouble worth it........

Aug 3, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There must have been a shift in teminology.When I was a teenager Caravanserai certainly didn't qualify for the jazz rock genre.We did call stuff like that latin rock.
Well, doesn't matter since Caravanserai is also one of the gratest records ever.For some it might be an added benefit that it's way easier accessible for the uninitiated than some of the other music mentioned in this thread.

Yea well... Can doesn't exactly qualify either. Just figured they'd fit nicely with some of the recommendations already made. And indeed, it's a very accessible album to whet one's pallet for some of the really challenging (and often more rewarding) stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back