Recommendations for the Jazz-Rock fusion genre?
Jul 30, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #16 of 38
Greetings...

I have a very extensive collection of fusion releases, so I'll keep my list of recommendations relatively short and sweet for now....

Tony Williams' Lifetime - Believe It!
Jean Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
Billy Cobham - Spectrum
Alphonse Mouzon - Mind Transplant
Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior
Herring/Lavitz/Hayward/Gradney - Endangered Species
Dixie Dregs - What If
Brand X - Unorthodox Behaviour
Al Dimeola - Land Of The Midnight Sun
Kenso - In The West
Tribal Tech - Face First
KBB - Lost And Found
The Fents - The Other Side
Mastermind - Excelsior!
Ozone Quartet - Nocturne
Michael Landau - Tales From The Bulge

That is all I can think of at the moment. I don't have my collection here in front of me, but I'll add more later...

Regards

Jul 30, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #17 of 38
I would have to second Cherokee's recommendation of Tribal Tech. Face First is a great album, but you really can't go wrong with any TT release.

While all the musicians in the band are incredible, Scott Henderson continues to be an innovative, genre bending guitarist of the highest order. He's recently developed a striking wammy bar technique that gives him a truly unique sound.

If you like TT, you will also probably like Scott's solo work, which is more straight ahead blues based (if you can call anything he does straight ahead).

Check him out playing the Miles classic All Blues here.

Jul 30, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #18 of 38
I personally didn't like Miles Davis during that era. I like his earlier stuff way better. Herbie Hancock is a great recommendation.

Jul 30, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #19 of 38
This might be more jazzy than rock but "Out Louder" by John Medeski, John Scofield, Billy Martin, Chris Wood is not to be missed if you're into fusion.

61EKW646RWL._AA240_.jpg

Jul 30, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #22 of 38
Al Dimeola, Larry Coreyell and The 11th House, Jean Luc Ponty, Passport w/ Klaus Doldinger, Spyro Gyra (a little poppy) GRP supergroup...that's a good start.

Jul 31, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by I3eyond /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W
basshead.gif
w Buckethead is good!!

Did you just discover him? If so welcome to Bucketheadland
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanatopsis - Axiology should be in your collection if it isn't already. Every bit as good as Population Override.

Jul 31, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #24 of 38
Hi!
I would suggest the group UZEB, who up to beginning of 2000s was the group of jazz fusion with a worldwide renown, big in europe + japan. (I do not know how well known in the USA)

very impressive music.

3 musicians from Quebec!!

Aug 1, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherokee Mist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Greetings...

I have a very extensive collection of fusion releases, so I'll keep my list of recommendations relatively short and sweet for now....

Tony Williams' Lifetime - Believe It!
Jean Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
Billy Cobham - Spectrum
Alphonse Mouzon - Mind Transplant
Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior
Herring/Lavitz/Hayward/Gradney - Endangered Species
Dixie Dregs - What If
Brand X - Unorthodox Behaviour
Al Dimeola - Land Of The Midnight Sun
Kenso - In The West
Tribal Tech - Face First
KBB - Lost And Found
The Fents - The Other Side
Mastermind - Excelsior!
Ozone Quartet - Nocturne
Michael Landau - Tales From The Bulge

That is all I can think of at the moment. I don't have my collection here in front of me, but I'll add more later...

Nice list, but I know most of the albums already.
So I'm waiting for part two.

"Jean Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean" is a must IMO.One of my all time favorites and I think accessible even for listeners not familar with the genre.
Vinyl is a bit better than the CD version.
This is even more true for "Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior".The CD mastering is god awful.The vinyl isn't stellar but far better.
The first time I heard the CD I frankly thought the amp was broken or the source or I've just got a stroke or something.
I don't know if "Al Dimeola - Land Of The Midnight Sun" exactly fits into a jazz rock list, but personally I'm quite fond of the latin flavour.I think I like "Elegant Gypsy" even better, but when I think about it mostly due to "Mediterranean Sundance", and that's not even close to jazz rock.My favorite acoustical guitar tune though and an absolute must to hear for any music lover.The following song "Race with devil on spanish highway" is certainly a kind of jazz rock with latin flavour.

Ah, it's after 6am local time, and at 10 I'm awaiting guests for breakfast.
I have to sleep now ..........

Aug 1, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #29 of 38
Going along the lines of Can, or any of the more spacey, electronic-style fusion, I would recommend Sextant By Herbie Hanc0ck. It's a trip from front to back.

I'm also partial to Miles' On the Corner and Return to Forever's Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy. Caravanserai by Santana is also a great listen.

Aug 2, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #30 of 38
One of the best all time classic jazz rock fusion bands, and also one of the most under appreciated... Brand X. Their first four "official" releases "Unorthodox Behaviour", "Moroccan Roll", "Livestock" & "Masques" are all monsters. Percy Jones on bass, John Goodsall - guitar, both monsters. Along with an equally adept sometimes varying personel line-up that included Robin Lumley on keys & synths, Morris Pert on percussion, and several different drummers, including Kenwood Dennard and the before anyone ever heard of him Phil Collins.

Some of their later stuff had it's moments, but never as jamming and monsterous as these 1st 4 realeases. There is some live stuff from the early days that was released later that is also great, including the Live in Chicago 1977 stuff, and some really early basement tape demos called "The Missing Period" that really showed off their blatant raw talent as musicians and composers.

I wish they'd do some serious remastering of at least those early Brand X releases. Some seriously great stuff that there will never be anything quite like again... IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back