Recommendations for subw $100 speaker upgrade?
Nov 14, 2018 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TidalWave

100+ Head-Fier
I have an inherited Creative ZxR sound card with some replacement op-amps, and it's time to also upgrade the currently installed speakers (too terrible to name).
https://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-zxr#specs

Being on a super low budget at the moment, I'd like to limit the total spending to up to $100 (the lower the better). So nothing like Audioengine speakers. I've looked at some bookshelf speakers that could be wired to be plugged into the sound card, but I'm kind of unclear about them requiring an amplifier, when the sound card has a 600Ohm amplifier already... But I guess that's only on the 3.5mm output.

What's a reasonably good set up on a budget? I don't really want to do too much DIY if possible (not that I'm against it, just a lot of other things to do piling up). Music is more of a target for sound rather than movies and gaming (so lots and lots of bass that seems to be piled up on all the gamer/home theater stuff is not necessary, but a good balanced sound with a reasonable amount of bass is a plus).

I probably need to get something like C-Note pair kit from partsexpress and a budget amplifier. That's going to be over $100 with extra parts that are needed. Not sure if that's my best option or if there's anything similar but under $100 total.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 6
It's unlikely that you will find passive speakers that can use the headphone amplifier on your soundcard since a headphone amplifier is meant to drive completely different impedance loads to a speaker amplifier. However, you could use active speakers from the soundcard output as they don't need an additional amplifier. Good options are likely to be a bit more than $100 though. Presonus 4.5 or KRK Rokit are good options at $150-$200.

Nov 15, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 6
Look for a pair of used studio monitors (self powered speakers), eBay or Craigslist.

Nov 17, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 6
I used M audio AV40's for years and liked them a lot. I actually had 2 pair at one point. Using them at my PC and living room.
You'll need to look for powered monitors not passive speakers.

Nov 28, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 6
Though I am upgrading to JBL monitors, my office desk I use Edifier 1280T's through a USB DAC and have been quite happy with the quality.

I have Mackie CR4 on my PC at home that I also like, think the CR3's are sub1 00.

Nov 28, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #6 of 6
If you want something small, I have JBL Duet speakers and I really like them. I didn't want a sub, I have had them for years and they do the job for casual listening while on the computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back