Recommendations for sub $1000 speakers?
Oct 2, 2004 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Xeno7651

500+ Head-Fier
I know there are a couple of threads about sub $500 speakers, but what about sub $1000 speakers? I like something with excellent bass and not overly bright/analytical. So lets hear what you guys recommend.

Oct 2, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 48
Hi Xeno,

Quad 12 L

OK they are a little bit over your 1000 limit ( $1400 can.) but my friend at the audio shop is selling them actually at $900 (demo: http://www.audiolight.qc.ca/occasion2.htm)

So It can be done under 1000.....
biggrin.gif

More than interesting:

http://www.noir-et-blanc.be/imports/...cus_12l_01.jpg

Amicalement

Oct 2, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 48
Genetic, any idea how these compare to the Genelec 1029As or Studer A3s?

Oct 2, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Genetic, any idea how these compare to the Genelec 1029As or Studer A3s?

Hi ipodstudio

LOL... I'm sorry I never heard those but the Quad was a very close call with the totem that I bought: http://www.totemacoustic.com/english...lf_model01.htm

All I can say is that they are ( the Quad) very well built and the sound is a little bit more relaxed than the Totem of the JMLab in the same price.

They offer a relaxing sound that will facilitate a longer session of listening.

Amicalement

(I went for the Totem since I have my King crimson episodes.....
biggrin.gif
)

Oct 2, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by genetic
Hi ipodstudio

LOL... I'm sorry I never heard those but the Quad was a very close call with the totem that I bought: http://www.totemacoustic.com/english...lf_model01.htm

All I can say is that they are ( the Quad) very well built and the sound is a little bit more relaxed than the Totem of the JMLab in the same price.

They offer a relaxing sound that will facilitate a longer session of listening.

Amicalement

(I went for the Totem since I have my King crimson episodes.....
biggrin.gif
)

Wow! Those Totems are great looking speakers!!

Oct 2, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 48
For full bodied sweet sound with a taste of high end under $1,000 hard to beat Green Mountain Audio Europas. Many owners will be upgrading to new GMA Callisto so should be easy to get used models at Audiogon for $600-700 range........I can't bear to sell mine even though I have upgraded.
tongue.gif

If you want to stay closer to $500 or less used PSB Stratus Mini's are great value and are pretty easy to find used at Audiogon

Oct 2, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Wow! Those Totems are great looking speakers!!

And you know what.... the pictures are not giving them justice. My girlfriend, the expert in wood, cant find in them any flaws. Comming from her is't not a small accomplishment...
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Oct 2, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by genetic
And you know what.... the pictures are not giving them justice. My girlfriend, the expert in wood, cant find in them any flaws. Comming from her is't not a small accomplishment...
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

My credit card is quivering with anxiety...
icon10.gif

Oct 2, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 48
I'm greatly intrigued by the apparent value to be had from speaker makers that operate without the mark ups of distributers and dealers. And even offer their speakers in kit form for even greater savings. Ribbon tweeters seem to be the thing these days, options of different drivers are available and sometimes the speakers are even upgradable which is definitely cool.

VMPS Audio is one such company.

And I recently read a very good review at Positive-Feedback of a $850 pair of Selah Audio speakers. "I had to constantly remind myself that I was listening to an $850 pair of speakers, as their treble is better than any monitors I have ever heard, and their midrange is better than most monitors costing up to $2500." $460 per pair in kit form.
cool.gif

selah audio SA-1 review

It seems like a buyers market for speakers and I sort of wish I was in the market as I'd love to hear some of these.

Oct 2, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #12 of 48
Two pairs of SA-1 are going around the US on an audition tour. You can hop onto audiocircle to get on the list, I think.

Oct 2, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #13 of 48
Oct 3, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #15 of 48
The responses so far seem to be pretty good, I'll keep them all in mind.

However, I found this local seller who has a pair of ProAc Tablette 2000 for $600. Any of you guys have any experience with ProAc or this model in particular?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back