Recommendations for something better than the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x's
Apr 7, 2019 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Tidalizer

New Head-Fier
I want to upgrade my headphones from the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x's but I'm struggling big time.

I've tried the DT770's, 100mW drivers mean they don't have the loudness I like, tried the Monolith M565C's, very narrow sound - no lows or highs or increased detail compared to my M50's.

Closed back is my preference, I need bass so I guess that rules out open backs.

The sound I'm after is the M50X's bass / fun but with more dynamic range, detail and clarity in the mids and highs, at the moment the ATH-MSR7b looks like my next logical move, 2W drivers, perhaps less bass but if the bass is that bad I could use an EQ to fix that.

I know the M50's are generally disliked by audiophiles but I really like them...

So budget wise around $250 to $300, also I live in the UK / Europe so I may not have easy access to cans that are found in the US.

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #2 of 25
Check out a SoundMAGIC HP151 or, if you are open to an open hp, the Philips FIdelio X2. Plenty of bass, even though the X2 is open. Anyway, both should have what you are looking for. What are you driving them with, btw?

Apr 7, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #5 of 25
I could get the DT770's to just a listening level with zero head room, yeah I like it loud, my ears so far are fine :) pushing the DT770's any further they just started to distort, I'm shocked the DT770's have such weak drivers, my M50's are 1600 mW, many other cans have similar wattages, e.g.ATH-MSR7b 2000mW, Monolith M565C's, 2000mW

Apr 7, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #7 of 25
I have had a pair of ATH-M50x for the past 3 years and have enjoyed them very much. I don't intend to sell them. But I have wanted to try the PSB M4U-1s for quite a while given the very flat response measured by Inner Fidelity.

So I went to amazon a couple weeks ago and found them on sale - big time. Go to amazon.com and type in "M4U-1 Red". Today (4/7/19) the price for that headphone is $106.16 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Two weeks ago I bought them for $130.00 and I still think they are a steal. At one time these headphones sold for $300; but the headband has a cracking plastic issue which has doomed the marketability of this headphone.

But for 106 bucks, who cares.

The one word I would use to describe the M50x headphones is "comfortable" - both sonically and physically. It is a very warm sound, what with its slowly decreasing frequency response from low to high frequencies. The M4U-1's flat frequency response has been a very revealing experience for me coming from the M50s. The treble range is much more open. Parts of the music you really don't notice with the M50x are, now, just ... there; not jumping out at you, just there. The M4U-1 puts it all out there, plainly, impartially, including all the defects. The M4U-1 may not end up being your final go-to headphones, but you will learn a lot about listening and judging musical fidelity with these cans.

On the headband cracking issue: I was going through the Q&As on amazon and found that there is a way to get a custom made replacement head band (thanks to A. Salazar). Go to https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2196782 and you can order one from Print A Thing for 20 bucks. I'm waiting for mine to arrive.

I'm telling you ... at 106 bucks, this purchase is a no-brainer.

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #8 of 25
Thanks for that, price wise these are definitely good value although I'm in the UK and delivery on these is 1+weeks, it's interesting that the below review compares the ATH-MSR7b and PSB's as being roughly equal but zeos does state there's more bass on the MSR7's

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #9 of 25
Check out a SoundMAGIC HP151 or, if you are open to an open hp, the Philips FIdelio X2. Plenty of bass, even though the X2 is open. Anyway, both should have what you are looking for. What are you driving them with, btw?
+1 Soundmagic HP151, like an improved DT770.

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #10 of 25
The driver power handling means not too much and doesn’t mean how loud they will sound or can go. I have in ears that can take 16 watts but that doesn’t mean I need it.

Apr 8, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #11 of 25
Check out the Massdrop Meze 99 Noir. You can also find the Audioquest Nightowl Carbon for 300 bucks if you shop around. These are my favorite closed backs in that price range, though I have the original Meze 99 Classics. Both are more dynamic with much better detail and clarity than the ATs. The Nightowl is a little darker sounding, while the Meze is a bit warmer, more forward and energetic.

Apr 8, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #12 of 25
Thanks for the extra suggestions, I'm slowly working my way through them all, it is funny though how 2 headphone experts that have tested many many headphones have polar opposite views on the same headphone, makes it so hard to make a choice. I'd have never have thought buying some decent cans could be such hard work :)

Yes I do get that driver wattage doesn't mean that much when you've got RMS, peak power, sensitivity and marketing BS but when a driver is rated at 16 times less wattage this does say to me it's under rated to some extent, personally having had disappointment with the DT770's I'm going to check the driver wattage is rated at something sensible, otherwise I'm not going to bother.

Apr 8, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #15 of 25
Thanks for the extra suggestions, I'm slowly working my way through them all, it is funny though how 2 headphone experts that have tested many many headphones have polar opposite views on the same headphone, makes it so hard to make a choice. I'd have never have thought buying some decent cans could be such hard work :)

Yes I do get that driver wattage doesn't mean that much when you've got RMS, peak power, sensitivity and marketing BS but when a driver is rated at 16 times less wattage this does say to me it's under rated to some extent, personally having had disappointment with the DT770's I'm going to check the driver wattage is rated at something sensible, otherwise I'm not going to bother.
Which headphones do you see getting opposite views on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back