Recommendations for semi-portable, easily stored, mid level headphones under $200?
Jan 16, 2006 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

strahdswift

New Head-Fier
I know you guys are probably tired of all the recommendation threads but I figured I would ask anyways =) I actually posted a similar thread about a year ago and got some great recommendations which lead me to the ATH-A900s that I love.

I just recently got a new job in which I am on the computer all day, but due to security reasons we are not allowed to store mp3's on the HDD. So I purchased a 5g 30gb Ipod and have been using my A900s with it. My problem is that I only own 1 pair of heaphones, the A900s, and I am getting tired of lugging them back and forth from work. This is especially annoying because I am very protective of them and have to pack them up in the box before I move them
icon10.gif

Anyways, I am looking for some easily stored, closed heaphones with good sound and comfort for under $200. The impossible right? =) The A900s would be perfect if they weren't so big and fragile. Plus I would like to experience some other brands. The most important thing is they need to be easily stored in my desk cabinet and be closed phones so as not to disturb others around me. As far as what kind of sound I like, I enjoy a balance I suppose. Clean highs and mids mostly but not overpowering bass. Also, I might consider a small amp seeing as how I will be listening to music for 8 hours everyday, I want it to sound good
580smile.gif

So keeping in mind the above information and that these will be driven by an IPod, does anyone have any recommendations? Be gentle I am still a newb
icon10.gif

I noticed some popular choices in this price range are the Ultrasone HFI-650s and the Beyerdynamic DT-880s. Some of the DTs seem like they might even be foldable? Any help would be much appreciated.

Jan 16, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 5
Not many decent closed and foldable headphones. I can think of the portable Sennheisers - PX 100, PX 200, PXC 250, PXC 300. The latter two are noise cancelling, and the open PX 100 probably sounds the best. The Sony Eggos (D66, D77) also fold up, but these are only available through importers like audiocubes.com. AKG K 26 P and K 27i also fold up and are closed, but reports vary on how good these sound.

If you're willing to forego the folding option, the Sennheiser HD 25 is a great portable closed headphone. Probably the best sounding out of the lot, and it sells for under $200. Very sturdy, it's small enough to be conveniently stored in your drawer or to be used portably, and it works well unamped. Quite well-balanced. A search will show that it's held in pretty high regard by head-fiers.

AFAIK, the Beyers and Ultrasones you mentioned aren't foldable.

Have you considered IEMs? The super.fi 5pro would seem to be a good choice.

Jan 16, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 5
I can probably deal without the folding option if the headphones are perfect otherwise. As far as IEMs go I don't think I could stand having something inside my ear for that long =P Hm, the AKG K 26 P seem like they might fit the bill but I would almost prefer over the ear phones for more comfort. I suppose if I get some cheaper headphones for work I can get an amp for my A900s or maybe even get a new pair =P

Jan 16, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by strahdswift
I can probably deal without the folding option if the headphones are perfect otherwise. As far as IEMs go I don't think I could stand having something inside my ear for that long =P Hm, the AKG K 26 P seem like they might fit the bill but I would almost prefer over the ear phones for more comfort. I suppose if I get some cheaper headphones for work I can get an amp for my A900s or maybe even get a new pair =P

The eggos are very comfortable. They're also quite small, and fold up. Under $100, they look like the perfect choice.

Jan 17, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 5
Yeah, Eggos would definitely suit your criteria, I think. They're not the most detailed phones ever and the bass is a tad loose, but they're very enjoyable, extremely portably, and amazingly comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back