recommendations for rock/metal headphones
Jan 9, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #16 of 46
I've read about some people being happy with the DT 990s. They may add a bit more punch/low end with a similar sound as the HD 595s. I'll try them myself sometime.

Jan 10, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #17 of 46
well if i can get some cheap 2nd hand i may get some grado rs125 or 225 or one of the alessandro's
to buy new i think i might go with the grado sr80

another concern in regards to the comfort of these cans is that i listen to music for 3,4,5 hours at a time sometimes and ive read that grado's can kill your ears after a hour or so? (not sure if thats because they are very trebley or that they are uncomfortable to the ears or both
blink.gif
haha)

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #19 of 46
I'd go after the DT990 if you could. They go very well for the style of music you (and I) prefer, and simply destroy Grado in the areas of comfort and build quality.

I take it from your post you'll be using the headphones from the headphone jack of a receiver (or similar device)? In this case the high impedance Beyers will be better off, because the low impedance Grados would have their bass control robbed by the likely high output impedance of the receiver. Low impedance headphones are only "easier" to drive in the case of a portable or other device that puts out a very low amount of voltage. The headphone jacks built into most receivers can put out a ton of voltage, their problem is low current output because of the way the amps are designed as an afterthought (using series resistors). There is plenty more that has been said on the topic, do a search if you're interested in more.

Also, I'd avoid the HD595, it's a pretty darned boring headphone IMO.

Jan 10, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #20 of 46
well i had a look around and i did find i could get a pair of beyerdynamic DT990 pro for the same price as the sennheiser HD595 and grado sr80 but the high impedance does mean that i wouldnt be able to use them on say my iriver H10 mp3 player and only on my jvc micro hi fi (yes jvc micro hi fi ,crap i know but thats all i have at the moment
tongue.gif
)

i must admit at this point this will be my first pair of higher end phones. now this will really show me up as a complete non audiophile (if the jvc micro hi fi all ready hasnt
wink.gif
) but the phones i have/had in the past and havent noticed them being a problem with my type of music are the sennheiser HD457 (which recently died when i accidently pulled the cable to hard for about the 4th time) and the sennheiser Hd200 master (which i bought to use for recording vocals i.e. the sound not leaking out back into the mic) but these are now the phones i use for listening to music since the HD457 died. now if im not having the most horendious experience listeng through the HD200 (which i gather from reading here in head-fi are utter poo!) then the sennheiser HD595 will probably sound like heaven surely? or any of the other models such as grado, allesandro, beyer etc?

man i wish i could demo the grado's but there not that easy to demo in the U.k. as they arent really sold here. i can hopefully demo the senn hd595 and beyer 990 though

Jan 10, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by robertmetal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i had a look around and i did find i could get a pair of beyerdynamic DT990 pro for the same price as the sennheiser HD595 and grado sr80 but the high impedance does mean that i wouldnt be able to use them on say my iriver H10 mp3 player and only on my jvc micro hi fi (yes jvc micro hi fi ,crap i know but thats all i have at the moment
tongue.gif
)

i must admit at this point this will be my first pair of higher end phones. now this will really show me up as a complete non audiophile (if the jvc micro hi fi all ready hasnt
wink.gif
) but the phones i have/had in the past and havent noticed them being a problem with my type of music are the sennheiser HD457 (which recently died when i accidently pulled the cable to hard for about the 4th time) and the sennheiser Hd200 master (which i bought to use for recording vocals i.e. the sound not leaking out back into the mic) but these are now the phones i use for listening to music since the HD457 died. now if im not having the most horendious experience listeng through the HD200 (which i gather from reading here in head-fi are utter poo!) then the sennheiser HD595 will probably sound like heaven surely? or any of the other models such as grado, allesandro, beyer etc?

man i wish i could demo the grado's but there not that easy to demo in the U.k. as they arent really sold here. i can hopefully demo the senn hd595 and beyer 990 though

I have the 595's and w/o an amp the bass is def lacking, with an amp however they have decently tight and controlled bass. That being said, I would suggest Grado's for rock/heavy metal they cannot be beat. Also they are great without a dedicated amp. I would say try to find the 225's used if you can find em or just get em new, or the Sr60's which are both great rock cans. The 595's are heacen in their smoothness but for rock I can see that they would not be the best choice. GL
etysmile.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #22 of 46
The SR225 is nearly $350 new over here so the second hand market would be the best bet for the 225 IMO.

Jan 10, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #23 of 46
Alessandro MS1, best rock bang for the buck and not so picky about amplification. Recommended.

Or DT990 but then you really have to invest for amplifier. And I really love my DT880 for metal, more than my SR225 (other than Deathmetal that is. There SR225 shines mostly). Good amplifier is needed again though.

Jan 10, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #24 of 46
ive been doing some research on the Goldring Dr150 they seem quite good and i can get them for 66 english pounds which is a pretty good deal i think!

i emailed alessandro to see if they ship to the u.k. so well see what happens there
plainface.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #25 of 46
They ship worldwide, quite cheaply IIRC. Actually Alessandros website is the only place you can get them and its most recommended Grado-line in EU, because of outrageus prices of purebred Grados.
plainface.gif

Alessandro is REALLY lazy about his emails, so answers might take a while, if it comes at all...

Jan 11, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #29 of 46
just had a look at my mail and i must be very lucky because i only mailed allessandro a couple of hours ago and all ready i got a reply- he said that shipping was included in the price so there only 51 english pounds!
icon10.gif

think i may be sold!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back