recommendations for rock/metal headphones
Jan 9, 2007 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

robertmetal

Head-Fier
Hello, im looking for a pair of quality headphones for listening to mostly hard rock and metal .im looking for an open design as they seem to have the best sound and sound leakage is not a problem. I will be using the headphones on my little hi fi which of course does not have the best preamp so im looking for a pair of phones that don’t require an external pre to get the most out of them. My budget is around the £100 or ($200) mark
I was looking at the Sennheiser HD595 model but have since read that they may not have the punch for rock/metal??
i have also read some good things about grado's
i can get the sr 60 and sr 80 for about £80 ($155) and the sr125 for around £117 ($227) here in england?

any help is much appreciated,
cheers.

p.s. visit these pages for some of the types of music I listen too if that helps in advising on a pair of phones >:O)

http://www.myspace.com/hammerfall
http://www.myspace.com/icedearthofficial
http://www.myspace.com/kamelot
http://www.myspace.com/nevermorefans
http://www.myspace.com/helloween
robertmetal is offline Thanks Reply With Quote
robertmetal
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by robertmetal

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 46
Go for the Alessandro MS-1 or MS-2i. They will give you far greater price/performance ratio buying in England.

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 46
Grados would be a good choice although they are overpriced in Europe.
I also like my Beyers (I have the DT880 but other models may be better for you) and the Sennheiser HD25-1 (overpriced but bargains can be found on the used market) for that kind of music.

Jan 9, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go for the Alessandro MS-1 or MS-2i. They will give you far greater price/performance ratio buying in England.

that would probably be the best route. or buying from the FS forums here at headfi

Jan 9, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 46
Hard to beat the MS-1 in that price range. You'll have to wait a bit, without a lot of communication from Allessandro, I guess that's the price you pay...

But in the end you're likely to be quite happy with your selection.

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 46
hello again,

thanks for replying.

i think ive narrowed my choice down to the sennheiser hd595
and the grado sr80

i can get both for the same price (aound 80 english pounds)

which of these two (at that price) ?

many thanks

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 46
My opinion is that you'd be happier with the Grado's since you stated a preference for rock.

The Senn's are great cans, but I think that Grado's do rock better.

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #9 of 46
stay away from the Senn HD595 if ur gonna use it for metal. Senns just arent built for metal IMHO. i find the 595 seriously lacking of bass..which makes listening to metal very... weird.

stick with the grados or alessandros. personally i use the Beyer DT990. and they rock. the DT880s seem to be good for metal as well.

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #10 of 46
go with a grado/alessandro. i would recommend the ms1 but... you said you narrowed it down to sr80
frown.gif

i love listening to kamelot
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #11 of 46
I would opt for the 80's or 125's based in the UK, however;

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Robertmetal: buy a pair of Grado SR225 used from the "For Sale" forum.

Excellent suggestion - I wonder how much the 225s go for with shipping to the UK :unsure:

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #12 of 46
hello dork knight, fancy seeing you hear haha

im leaning towards the grado sr80 but two things concern me

1. they look very flimsey, like they would fall apart in a month.
2. just about every one says that the grados are uncomfortable to wear-
whats the point of having a great sound if your dying to get the things off your head?

ive been reading about some phones called Goldring DR150
they seem very good price/quality ratio?

i will checkout the for sale section

p.s. i would consider getting some alessandro but they seem impossible to get here in the u.k.

whereas i can get a pair of grado sr80 brand new for 80 english pounds

p.s. glad to hear there another Kamelot fan here
icon10.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dork Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would opt for the 80's or 125's based in the UK, however;

Excellent suggestion - I wonder how much the 225s go for with shipping to the UK :unsure:

Shipping them with www.usps.com from the US to Europe cost something like 10-15 USD.

With the original box and everything.

Jan 9, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by robertmetal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. they look very flimsey, like they would fall apart in a month.
2. just about every one says that the grados are uncomfortable to wear-
whats the point of having a great sound if your dying to get the things off your head?

- I've had SR80 for a year now and they are still working brilliantly. Headband can take a lot of punishment.

- Well, it's quite true what they say about these. They are making some pressure towards ears and at least mine are quite red after wearing them. There aren't any soft paddings between ears and the drivers. Ofc this offers clean sound but it isn't as good for ears then. It might be about size and built of your ears how SR80 feels. And always you can get those HD414 pads and mod confies...
smily_headphones1.gif

But anyway, I'm extremely happy with sound of these phones. They make my rock sound like one.

Jan 9, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #15 of 46
they arent uncomfortable at all for me lol

i was afraid of them being uncomfortable since i read that too but what i got was the opposite... the hd590s arent even much more comfortable than my ms1s..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back