Recommendations for replacement of my Monster Turbine
Jan 25, 2014 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tibo0

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. 
regular_smile .gif

I'm new here and hope you guys can help me to choose a new in-ear headphone

I've been reading a lot of review around the web.
There is a lot of products,  and a lots of different opinions on the same product (I guess it's depends a lot on personal feeling) : I'm really lost 
confused.gif

That's why i'm going to point out what I like as reference:
I'm using a Monster Turbine since 2 years now, and in terms of sound, it's exactly what i'm looking for.
As i understood back then, it's bass oriented sound , V signal, or something like that (i'm really newbies when it comes to technical information)
I'm listening to this with my cowon J3 on "Rock" equalizer setting 
L3000.gif

Anyway, in 2 years, I had 3 times the classic "micro-cut somewhere in the cable" problem
mad.gif
, and had them replaced 3 times thanks to the monster warranty.
Of course, now it's over, and few days ago, the left in-ear was going off for good ... again. (which makes sens since i can see everyone saying that the turbine are really fragile)

So now i have 2 solutions :
1) Buy a new turbine (and makes sure the dealer is ok with regular replacement)
2) Since replacement takes like 3 weeks and i'm kinda bored, I thinking of getting some new product of a more robust confection, hoping that change can sometimes be good ....

So my main question is : Which in-ear headphone could possibly give me a sound style close to my beloved Turbine  (and be around the same price)
I was about to buy the Shure SE215, as i believe the sound could be nice to me, but i'm holding myself back to get some advice.

Thanks
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 16
What is your budget right now?

I'm honestly not a huge fan of the SE215 as the bass is impactful but a bit muddy. I would honestly suggest monster gratitude over the SE215. The gratitude just doesnt have as good of a fit (but its 30 bucks cheaper).

Some other options to consider could be the philips S2, yamaha EPH 100SL (has a good amount of bass), or possibly look into vsonic iems. Just to name a few

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 16
Thanks for those names, i'm going to look closer at those.
Does philips S2 means Philips Fidelio S2 ?
I've been looking at those but i red that sound is very balanced and bass are more in background

My budget is <200$

I must precise that i don't care about cell phone controls on cable

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 16
What is your budget right now?

I'm honestly not a huge fan of the SE215 as the bass is impactful but a bit muddy. I would honestly suggest monster gratitude over the SE215. The gratitude just doesnt have as good of a fit (but its 30 bucks cheaper).

Some other options to consider could be the philips S2, yamaha EPH 100SL (has a good amount of bass), or possibly look into vsonic iems. Just to name a few

Is the Monster Gratitude fitment bad because of design? Or just the supplied tips? Some Comply foam tips should fit better than the supplied tips, and combined cost should still be less than $100 total.

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 16
Its a combination of the tips and the fact the gratitudes are a little heavy. The fits not bad. The fit on the shures are just REALLY good

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 16
From what I understand, the turbines have kind of a pronounced lower end with more laid back mids and highs. If you don't want to replace them with the same thing, I'd look at a set of b&w c5s, they have a similar sound signature.

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 16
Hello.
Thanks for your advices  
regular_smile .gif

I've been looking closer to both B&W C5 (s ?) and VSONIC GR07 bass edition. Those 2 looks interesting. (problem though, i have hard time to find an european retailer 
confused_face.gif
)

In addition, i read some more reviews and i was wondering about the UE 600, which sounds pretty good too.
Is there a big quality step with the c5 and gr07 which are a little more expensive ?

Thanks !

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 16
UE600 is fairly flat. Build quality is acceptable. I owned it before, and i wasnt particularly impressed with it. There is a bit of hiss with iphone, which was a bit surprising. Theyre very sensitive They are quite comfortable tho.

But GR07 is definitely a step up from them. Once i got my GR07, the UE600 was basically retired.

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 16
Hello.

I finally choose to buy the GR07 bass edition, from lendmeurears.com,  where i found a special offer at 130$ instead of 170$ ( just in case i was still hesitating
tongue_smile.gif
 ).
I know the package arrived today at my local post,  so i can say the delivery took 7-8 working days, with no problem to signal.
I can't wait to finally test it !

Just a question about burning :
As I understood, burning is basically a track going on and on at max volume, 24/7 ?
In my readings I noticed that the GRO7 especially needs a very long burning (2 weeks
eek.gif
).
So what's the difference between burning and me listening to music everyday ? i don't know if I can wait 2 weeks before actually use it ...
Do you have any advice so i can get the best of this product ?

Thanks.

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #11 of 16
I burned in my GR07BE by listening to it normally. I like to hear how the sound signature changes. I suggest you just use them normally. After 50 hours of listening they should open up a bit. The bass, treble and the overall presentation improves after 50 hours. How do you like them by the way? 

Feb 12, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #13 of 16
oops, would like to know your views once you get them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back