Recommendations for quality, bassy earphones for around £120?
Jun 20, 2011 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Dizzle77

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

Noob here.

I stumbled across this forum over the weekend. I never even knew there would be forums dedicated to headphones, so I’m pleased that I cam across this place J

I listen to a lot of my music in work on a pair of Sony MDR 35lp in-ear earphones plugged into my iphone4. I also have a pair of Audio Technica ANTHANC3 that I use when travelling and a pair of Sennheiser HD215 headphones

Last week I found out about headphone amps and was going to buy the FiiO E5, but then I found some thread about earphones on this forum.

I listen to a lot of drum & bass, but also other genres like Funk, Rock, Indie, Hip Hop, Electronica and jazz.
I have been looking at the Monster Turbines as these are said to have great bass. My worry here though is that the bass may overpower the other frequencies. Is this true?

What other earphones should I be considering? Bass is a must, but they must also retain clarity in the mid and high end.

I want to spend about £120

Thanks

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #2 of 17
Sennheiser IE7(rich mids and bass centric sound), Ultimate Ears Super-Fi 5EB(very thick and heavy bass), Radius DDM(deep punchy bass with detailed mids), Panasonic HJE900(crisp punchy bass with detailed highs and mids) and TF10Pro(deep punchy bass with great mids and highs, highely recommended).

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #3 of 17
Try Shure SE215. They are great on iPhone4G (you don't need amping).
You will be quite happy on your styles of music:wink:

Turbines will be much better only with Hard Rock, Metal, Hard Core, maybe drum'n'bass and very hard electronic music.

Rock, jazz, indie, funk, reggae, soul, hip-hop, etc, better on SE215.

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #4 of 17
Those Shure 215 sound very good. I saw these over the weekend, but i am worried about them being weak in the mid to highs. Is this the case?
I mean bassy headphones are a must for me, but i wdont want the other ranges to suffer by being droened out.

The sennheiser IE7 are tempting too. What is the fit like with these? The IE8 are also tempting, but not sure if I would be able to tell a difference when using my iphone

I've just seen another thread about Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 being half price today on Play (UK). Only £99 which is well within my budget.

Sales ends today at midnight.
Anyone know anything about these? Will they be suitable for me?

The fact that they are half price i would assume these are a good pair. What do you reckon?

EDIT : just been reading about the UE triplefi 10. Not sure if i'm keen on the kind of sound they produce and also people say there can be comfort issues for people like me with smaller ears

Jun 20, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #6 of 17
Sennheiser IE8 offer huge soundstage, deep punchy bass, great mids and highs but IE7 mids are more frward and detailed, The isolation is average on both and same with TF10Pro but all these are great buy under 120GBP.

Jun 20, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
Can't get any greater bassy IEMs in under 120 BP price range.

I suppose you've heard all IEMs under £120?
wink.gif

Ill add the Futuresonic Atrio w/MG7 into the fray.

Jun 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #9 of 17
right, I've done some reading about all the suggestions mentioned and think I'm going to go for the Future Sonics M5.
The Radius DDM also sound very good, but I really do not like the design, especially the gold trim

I've checked out a few reviews for the earphones, including one written by a user here called Clio5 (I think). They sound ideal for what I'm looking for, but i have some questions....

Can someone who has these comment about the fit? From the photos I have seen, it's clear the the ear bud is kind of doubled. Do these buds need to go right into the ear?

How comfy are these buds?

I've found a uk seller called Hand Held Audio selling them for £109. 

Jun 20, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #10 of 17
I got my Atrios from HHA for that price.

With regards to the fit, I use the stock double-flange tips that are included. I prefer to wear them down as opposed to over the ear. The fit on my left ear is fine, while the right ear takes a bit of fiddling to get it perfect. I think there are more comfortable IEMs out there for me, but it will depend on your ears. My right ear canal must be a bit weird as it usually has fit issues.

Jun 20, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
I got my Atrios from HHA for that price.

With regards to the fit, I use the stock double-flange tips that are included. I prefer to wear them down as opposed to over the ear. The fit on my left ear is fine, while the right ear takes a bit of fiddling to get it perfect. I think there are more comfortable IEMs out there for me, but it will depend on your ears. My right ear canal must be a bit weird as it usually has fit issues.

thanks

Just looking at your sig and noticed you also have mOnster Turbines too. How do they compare with the Future Sonics M5? 
Which one do you think sounds better? Which has the most bass?

The Monster Turbines are what I was looking at originally. I was drawn to their enhanced bass, but I got the impression that it could maybe be a bit overpowering. I'm after a bassy sound, but don't want the mid/treble to suffer.

Jun 20, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #12 of 17
Hippo VB is back in stock on jaben, theyre alot cheaper than what youre currently looking and a re very good bassy earphone and are great value for money

Jun 20, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #13 of 17
The Atrio M5s are better than the turbines in almost all areas...except for maybe the depth that the Turbines can reach.  The Atrios are no slouch at all, but that is the only area the turbines might be able to surpass them.  The fit/comfort and everything else is better on the Atrios.

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #15 of 17
Future Sonic Atrio M5 ............ORDERED!!!!
biggrin.gif

Looking forward to getting these bad boys! 

I must admit I was a bit put off after watching a youtube video review about them. I always thought they were made from hard plastic, but after seeing video I realised that it was more soft rubber type material.

Anyway the sound quality is what counts and by the sounds of it, these are going to be great.

Thanks for the input guys. much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back