Recommendations for Producer/Engineer
Sep 7, 2008 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

nwilliams

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I'm a record producer/engineer. I'll be traveling to Europe on a gig over the span of 6 months. During this trip I'll be working from a portable rig.

I'll be doing both songwriting and some rough mixes with this rig. I'm bringing a pair of Adam A7 monitors since I can't travel with my large Adam S3As.

I'll find myself working out of hotels and other awkward places where I won't be able to use monitors all the time and headphones will have to do.

What are some recommendations for a versatile pair of headphones?

Ultimately I need something that is both neutral so I can make some mix decisions and get an accurate representation of what I'm hearing yet I also need something that isn't too transparent/flat from a songwriting perspective where flat monitoring doesn't help with overall "vibe".

I'm hoping to find something where there's still presence in the <100Hz range yet I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect low frequency responce from a pair of headphones.

Open design is a must since I'll be wearing them for extended periods of time and while I'm at it....what about a good headphone amp to drive these cans?

I'll feed two line level outputs to the amp from my Apogee interface so preferably 1/4" or XLR inputs would be great....I'd like to stay away from RCA!

Accuracy/Low frequency response/comfort/ (in that order) are the things I'm looking for and an amp that will appropriately drive the said headphones.

I guess what I'm looking for is pretty much what most look for in a pair of good headphones!

Sennheiser HD600/650?
Ultrasone?
AKG?

Little Dot?

My knowledge in headhones/amps is very limited so any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
darthsmile.gif

Sep 7, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #2 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nwilliams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey,

I'm a record producer/engineer. I'll be traveling to Europe on a gig over the span of 6 months. During this trip I'll be working from a portable rig.

I'll be doing both songwriting and some rough mixes with this rig. I'm bringing a pair of Adam A7 monitors since I can't travel with my large Adam S3As.

I'll find myself working out of hotels and other awkward places where I won't be able to use monitors all the time and headphones will have to do.

What are some recommendations for a versatile pair of headphones?

Ultimately I need something that is both neutral so I can make some mix decisions and get an accurate representation of what I'm hearing yet I also need something that isn't too transparent/flat from a songwriting perspective where flat monitoring doesn't help with overall "vibe".

I'm hoping to find something where there's still presence in the <100Hz range yet I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect low frequency responce from a pair of headphones.

Open design is a must since I'll be wearing them for extended periods of time and while I'm at it....what about a good headphone amp to drive these cans?

I'll feed two line level outputs to the amp from my Apogee interface so preferably 1/4" or XLR inputs would be great....I'd like to stay away from RCA!

Accuracy/Low frequency response/comfort/ (in that order) are the things I'm looking for and an amp that will appropriately drive the said headphones.

I guess what I'm looking for is pretty much what most look for in a pair of good headphones!

Sennheiser HD600/650?
Ultrasone?
AKG?

Little Dot?

My knowledge in headhones/amps is very limited so any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
darthsmile.gif

I'd say AKG would be your best bet.. Maybe the 271's.. They also released upgraded versions of these headphones.. & theres the AKG 240's..

Sep 7, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say AKG would be your best bet.. Maybe the 271's.. They also released upgraded versions of these headphones.. & theres the AKG 240's..

My dealer had a pair of 240MKII he sugested I take home and try but I wasn't sure if that was really what I was looking for! After spending some time reading some of the posts here I thought maybe Sennheiser HD600/650 would be best?

I see in your signature that you have the Sennheiser HD. Why would you suggest the 271/240 over the 600/650?

BTW, I currently own a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M40fs and AKG K501.
The ATs are closed and uncomfortable for extended use and the K501s are too "light" sounding, maybe the fact they're 120ohms would require a stronger headphone amp to drive them than what I'm using?

Sep 7, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #5 of 22
There are some youtube videos on AKG 240 ....all i use them for is a 360 view...because the users have no idea why they bought them..some say for Laptop music. Lol..

Sep 7, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by artleaf2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also recommend AKG 271 or 240..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some youtube videos on AKG 240 ....all i use them for is a 360 view...because the users have no idea why they bought them..some say for Laptop music. Lol..

More AKG 240 recommendations!

Wow, I'm surprised. I thought I would get more HD600/650, Ultrasone, type recommendations.

I'll pick up a pair of 240MKII on Monday and try them out.

Keep 'em coming

Thanks to everyone so far
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 22
I'd say get HD600 and be gone...K240 just has less of the similar.

Sep 7, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #8 of 22
I've started two threads in the last week based essentially on the risks of buying headphones without actually hearing them first. One can read all the reviews, solicit all the advice, but it comes down to your personal preferences and needs.

I'd strongly suggest finding a shop somewhere close to where you live and do some auditioning.

That being said, I listened to the Ultrasone 580 & 780 yesterday live and in person at a shop in the LA area. The design intrigued me, with their ""40% less SPL to the eardrums, but yet with the same perceived loudness" design, and the fact the Headroom seems to diss them with their own ratings - like why sell them if your own staff doesn't seem to like them? Yet some folks rave over them.

I loved them. And the bass, certainly below 100Hz, was present, tactile, engaging, and not muddy, bloated, or exaggerated. They weren't physically any where near as comfortable on my head as the AudioTechnica 700's, but musically seemed less fatiguing - appeared like that "S-Logic" reflection into the ear's upper pinae may have some merit. I could easily imagine wearing those for hours. But they are not an open design.

The shop owner himself said the AKG's were 'very flat, mostly used for recording & mixing, where total accuracy is important.' I told him I was looking for something with good bass, but not exaggerated and bloated bass, and he steered me away from the AKG's.

The Ultrasones also seemed to be built like little tanks.

But really, if at all possible, get some listening time in before buying such a critical piece of gear!

Sep 7, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 22
definitely not 650's, they are great to listen to though. 600's are better for this, but I would recommend 600 Ohm DT880's. Ultrasone seems to be loved or hated so you would have to try it and see how it works on your head geometry (more dependant than others), but certainly have a very speaker-like bass output.

Sep 7, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #11 of 22
I'd say HD600 or AKG K701/702. I know the HD600 sounds pretty darn good from the Graham Slee Voyager portable amp.

Regarding bass response, HD600 has a bit more slam but it's mostly mid-bass, K701/702 have less slam but extend a bit deeper.

In a direct comparison the K701/702 is quite a bit more detailed than the HD580 which uses the same drivers as HD600. You can pick out details with the one that you miss with the other.

Sep 7, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #13 of 22
Do not try mixing with Sennheisers, unless maybe you're planning on bringing a very high quality balanced amp with you as well. They're not sufficiently resolving, and have a coloration that makes EQ work impossible to do.

I'm mixing primarily with the markl modded D5000s now. They have superb detail retrieval, with outstanding instrument separation. They easily go above the highest frequency I can hear. And I can still feel them shaking my head at 15 Hz. So they should have way better bass extension than the A7s. Just don't get the stock D5000s and expect them to behave well. They'd be a nightmare to mix on without the mods.

Sep 7, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say get HD600 and be gone...K240 just has less of the similar.

HD600 and be gone...hmmm, I hear great things about them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerumenator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've started two threads in the last week based essentially on the risks of buying headphones without actually hearing them first. One can read all the reviews, solicit all the advice, but it comes down to your personal preferences and needs.

I'd strongly suggest finding a shop somewhere close to where you live and do some auditioning.

That being said, I listened to the Ultrasone 580 & 780 yesterday live and in person at a shop in the LA area. The design intrigued me, with their ""40% less SPL to the eardrums, but yet with the same perceived loudness" design, and the fact the Headroom seems to diss them with their own ratings - like why sell them if your own staff doesn't seem to like them? Yet some folks rave over them.

I loved them. And the bass, certainly below 100Hz, was present, tactile, engaging, and not muddy, bloated, or exaggerated. They weren't physically any where near as comfortable on my head as the AudioTechnica 700's, but musically seemed less fatiguing - appeared like that "S-Logic" reflection into the ear's upper pinae may have some merit. I could easily imagine wearing those for hours. But they are not an open design.

The shop owner himself said the AKG's were 'very flat, mostly used for recording & mixing, where total accuracy is important.' I told him I was looking for something with good bass, but not exaggerated and bloated bass, and he steered me away from the AKG's.

The Ultrasones also seemed to be built like little tanks.

But really, if at all possible, get some listening time in before buying such a critical piece of gear!

My limited experience with headphones (AKG K501) seems to correlate with being steered away from AKGs when looking for prominent bass. Having said that I can't speak for other models!

I fully agree with trying different models out but unfortunately I can't find local dealers with enough variety to really A/B different manufacturers. I'll have to rely on the info I can gather here and pull the trigger on something!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
definitely not 650's, they are great to listen to though. 600's are better for this, but I would recommend 600 Ohm DT880's. Ultrasone seems to be loved or hated so you would have to try it and see how it works on your head geometry (more dependant than others), but certainly have a very speaker-like bass output.

I've gathered through many different posts here that the Ultrasone have present and extended bass and that makes me very curious in exploring their offerings and keeping them high in my list. The "love 'em or hate 'em" aspect worries me a little considering I won't have a chance to really try them and I'll have to simply take a chance on them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser HD 250 II

Ultrasone PROline 650

PIONEER Monitor 10

I can get my hands on a pair of 240MKII on a trial basis. Not sure of the difference between the 240 and the 250. I'll do more research.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say HD600 or AKG K701/702. I know the HD600 sounds pretty darn good from the Graham Slee Voyager portable amp.

Regarding bass response, HD600 has a bit more slam but it's mostly mid-bass, K701/702 have less slam but extend a bit deeper.

In a direct comparison the K701/702 is quite a bit more detailed than the HD580 which uses the same drivers as HD600. You can pick out details with the one that you miss with the other.

I didn't consider the 701/702 but you jogged my curiosity. And another one for the HD600....They remain a contender in my list of options.

This place is a great resource in helping me make an informed purchase and I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help educate me.

In a perfect scenario, I would try all of the above and keep a pair (or two!). In the real world, I'll have to make a decision and go with something. I've done plenty of reading and gather that as with everything, headphone preference is subjective! I'm hoping that any of the mentioned headphones (all the usual suspects) would probably sound "good". I've noticed there's a great classified section here and maybe I'll purchase second hand headphones and get a chance to pick up a couple of pairs and narrow it down that way.
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 7, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #15 of 22
As for powering the MD5000s, there's a lot of discussion on the subject. The only thing I can add is that for reasons I don't understand, the little Pico does a surprisingly marvelous job with them. I don't lke the Pico's sound with any other full sized headphone I've tried it with. But the MD5000 & Pico combo is great for the road (or a hotel.) Its small size makes it really easy to travel with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back