Recommendations for powered monitors to pair with my Schiit Valhalla 2
Nov 2, 2014 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mpm2433

New Head-Fier
Recommendations  for powered monitors to pair with my Schiit Valhalla 2. Set up is the V2, Modi, HD-650's. 

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 13
  Recommendations  for powered monitors to pair with my Schiit Valhalla 2. Set up is the V2, Modi, HD-650's. 

Monoprice 5" ($171) or 8" ($255) studio monitors (they appear to be relabeled M-Audio BX5s)
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401

Emotiva Airmotiv 5s, $332
https://emotiva.com/products/powered-monitors/airmotiv-5s

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 13
JBL LSR305 $120 each, and they sound incredible. If you poke around the net there are plenty of reviews, and some objective measurements to back up what they're hearing.

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 13
I would gladly spend more. I'm love my schiit vahalla 2/modi setup running through my HD650's. Unable to do a side by side comparisons on powered monitors, short of going to Guitar Center.  What I am looking for is a match for my V2. and the equivalent value and performance of the 650's. 

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #7 of 13
I dunno man, I have been through a few sets of monitors/speakers now and the LSR305 was the end of the line. This is the kind of performance I would expect from something that cost closer to a $1000. The only negative I have is that the speaker is really light, which makes me question it's cabinet construction etc. The fact that it doesn't have problems with cabinet resonances is amazing, but I JBL put a lot of research into this one. For example, this thing is pretty flat down to 40hz, and the bass is not boomy crap bass either. That has to do with some of their rear port voodoo. SCIENCE!

So if you think our recommendations are too cheap, how much do you want to spend?

Nov 6, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 13
You should go to Guitar Center. Then you would get some comparison between speakers that are there, even though their setup is pretty bad.

Genelec is well know for making high quality active monitors, but pricey.

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #10 of 13
Probably genelec, adam, high end jbl, dynaudio, neumann. Genelec and adam are the high end ones people talk about the most.

There really is no "the" studio monitor. It depends on your application and budget. Are u using it on a desktop? How big is your room? Will u have room behind your speakers?

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #11 of 13
I don't want to wast money. I'm just trying not to buy twice. These would be used in a 12/12 room, hotel room, motor home ect. I am completely happy with my desktop rig. Just looking for similar value.

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #13 of 13
Greetings,

I live in your neck of the woods ...  Houston.  Definitely make a trip down to Guitar Center so you can try out a few monitors.  You will notice that many of the manufacturers have a "house" sound and knowing which house sound you like will help you find the perfect pair.

To not buy twice, I would recommend you listen to 2 different tiers of monitors.  You may find that your room and setup may make buying Tier 2 pointless until you can correct some of the room acoustics.

Tier 1
- JBL LSR 305
- Presonus ERIS E5

Tier 2
- Focal CMS 50
- Neumann KH120A

Please don't hesitate to ask questions.  Active monitors hooked up to a nice DAC can be musical bliss if done right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back