Recommendations for portable set-up
Mar 16, 2017 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

fraggerz

100+ Head-Fier
Current Headphones - HUM Pristine CIEM
Budget - £400-500
Source - Google Pixel

Currently looking for equipment to improve my overall listening experience. Should I be investing in a better DAP or a portable amp or even something else? I'm open to all suggestions. I would prefer if i can still stream music through Spotify as it is where most of my music is.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 8
  Current Headphones - HUM Pristine CIEM
Budget - £400-500
Source - Google Pixel

Currently looking for equipment to improve my overall listening experience. Should I be investing in a better DAP or a portable amp or even something else? I'm open to all suggestions. I would prefer if i can still stream music through Spotify as it is where most of my music is.

I am assuming you are happy with your Pristines?

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 8
It seems to me you have two questions to address. One is, do you sufficiently like the Pixel, or would you be interested in a DAP upgrade? The second question is whether you feel with your Pristines as they are, do you really need an external amplifier?

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 8
  It seems to me you have two questions to address. One is, do you sufficiently like the Pixel, or would you be interested in a DAP upgrade? The second question is whether you feel with your Pristines as they are, do you really need an external amplifier?

I guess I would be interested in a DAP upgrade as thinking about having to attach a DAC to my pixel is abit too much of a hassle. Question is how much improvement can I get by upgrading my source but still using Spotify as my main music library. If you have any input on this it would really be much appreciated. 
I do feel mostly contented with my pixel but I do know I'm missing out on quite alot because my source is not that good.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 8
  I guess I would be interested in a DAP upgrade as thinking about having to attach a DAC to my pixel is abit too much of a hassle. Question is how much improvement can I get by upgrading my source but still using Spotify as my main music library. If you have any input on this it would really be much appreciated. 
I do feel mostly contented with my pixel but I do know I'm missing out on quite alot because my source is not that good.

Unfortunately, I've not heard the Pixel yet, so I can't ajudge how it would compare to something else (a FiiO, for example). On that note, with your nice budget, you could get into a FiiO X7 and probably experience a substantive upgrade in SQ. It does support both Spotify and Tidal, evidently, so it could work for you. I also believe Spotify is going to offer lossless at some point in the not too distant future (allegedly $10/month extra--but we'll see). Do I know this will offer a meaningful upgrade in SQ? No, but I have every expectation that it would, knowing how most phones sound and knowing how ridiculously good the X7 sounds. A few thoughts..

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 8
  Unfortunately, I've not heard the Pixel yet, so I can't ajudge how it would compare to something else (a FiiO, for example). On that note, with your nice budget, you could get into a FiiO X7 and probably experience a substantive upgrade in SQ. It does support both Spotify and Tidal, evidently, so it could work for you. I also believe Spotify is going to offer lossless at some point in the not too distant future (allegedly $10/month extra--but we'll see). Do I know this will offer a meaningful upgrade in SQ? No, but I have every expectation that it would, knowing how most phones sound and knowing how ridiculously good the X7 sounds. A few thoughts..

Any idea how does the X7 compare with the Onkyo DP-X1? The X7 is currently 50GBP more expensive than the Onkyo X1

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 8
  Any idea how does the X7 compare with the Onkyo DP-X1? The X7 is currently 50GBP more expensive than the Onkyo X1

Some people believe the Onkyo is the best player on the market under $1000. It supports Tidal and Spotify and has balanced outputs and has a massive memory. It sounds awesome. How does it stack up against the X7? For one, the battery life is poorer on the Onkyo (about 5 hours). To me, it sounds better than the FiiO. Had I known you were willing to spend the money for the Onkyo, well then that would have been my recommendation. You can always get an external battery pak and extend battery life that way. All in all, this could work for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back