Recommendations for PORTABLE Headphones similar to the "fun" Sennheiser IE80 IEMs
Jan 21, 2015 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

iztis

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

So recently just decided I want to get a pair of portable headphones for convenience when I don't want to constantly remove my IE80s from my ear when I have to talk to someone. 
Hoping to buy a pair off Amazon UK in the next day or so. 

Budget: USD $400; I am looking for audiophile grade portable headphones

What I am Looking for:
- A "fun" sound similar to that of the Sennheiser IE80s that have deep strong and clean bass that is worth for EDM and Rock/Indie/Pop
- Portable
- UNSURE if I want over-ear or on-ear - Want your opinion on this!
- UNSURE if I should go for noise cancelling ones which might be helpful when I'm travelling on a plane; But I guess I can just turn up the headphones - Want your opinion on this!
- Headphones must be able to play directly from my iPhone 6 or iPad without the need for amplification

I don't have many ideas at the moment but this comes to mind: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 

Beats by Dre is obviously NO GO.

Unsure about Bose, happy to go for Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic, but open to all brands that give me what I am looking for.

Appreciate all the help and opinions!

Thanks a million!

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #3 of 6
I use Sennheiser On-Ear Momentums (~$150) for this very reason. I commute on a vanpool 1.5 hours each way and spend a lot of time on airplanes. I usually listen with a FiiO X3 but they also work well with my iPod Touch, iPhone and Moto X 1st Gen without an amp. As a plus they come with two cables one which has in-line controls for iDevices and a mic so I have used them for phone calls also. I am happy with the sound and the build quality is fairly bulletproof. I have used them on a daily basis for over a year with no signs of wear. They are also one of the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn. You can also get them in the over ear format for about $100 more.

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #5 of 6
Haven't seen a release date for the Momentum 2.0s yet. Not sure about the hinge. BT is getting better so they might be worth a look, but my main DAP is the X3 so no joy there. For iPhone/Android they might be a sweet setup. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back