Recommendations for Portable Headphone Amp or DAC/AMP combo?
Feb 17, 2015 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

SptTablo

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi!

I am in the market looking to get a either portable headphone amp or portable DAC/Amp combo. 

My source is going to be iPhone 6 plus and I want to bypass its internal DAC in order for my songs to not be limited by internal DAC.

I am looking to spend less than $300 USD.

Thanks in advance for all the recommendations!

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #3 of 13
JDS Labs has a post talking about how to bypass the DAC in iphones & Android devices:
http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=838

In my experience, messing with all that wasn't worth the hassle vs just using a good amp connected to the headphone out. YMMV...

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #5 of 13
  Hello Head-Fi!

I am in the market looking to get a either portable headphone amp or portable DAC/Amp combo. 

My source is going to be iPhone 6 plus and I want to bypass its internal DAC in order for my songs to not be limited by internal DAC.

I am looking to spend less than $300 USD.

Thanks in advance for all the recommendations!

Are you using IEMs? You might not get enough of a benefit for the added bulk when using it as a portable, and probably not even as a transportable unless you're using fullsize headphones that need more voltage and current.

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #6 of 13
JDS Labs C5D. I don't know if it bypasses the dac in the iPhone though since I don't have an iPhone.

Alright thanks!

JDS Labs has a post talking about how to bypass the DAC in iphones & Android devices:
http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=838

In my experience, messing with all that wasn't worth the hassle vs just using a good amp connected to the headphone out. YMMV...

Hmm.. So internal DAC in iPhone 6 plus is enough so that I would not need DAC but just standalone AMP?

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #8 of 13
Are you using IEMs? You might not get enough of a benefit for the added bulk when using it as a portable, and probably not even as a transportable unless you're using fullsize headphones that need more voltage and current.

I have Sony MDR-Z7 which I will use it for portable set up. Meaning that I will use it when I study or just want to sit down and relax :)

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #9 of 13
I have considered it but I am confused as A200p is originally made by Astell & Kern. I dont know what the different is between AK10 and a200p..

I don't know either. To find the answer to that question, I would google A200p with head-fi as a keyword, and look for major threads that discuss the A200p.

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #10 of 13
I have Sony MDR-Z7 which I will use it for portable set up. Meaning that I will use it when I study or just want to sit down and relax
smily_headphones1.gif

No need to spend a lot of money, try the Ibasso D-Zero MkII - it's already iOS 7 and Android compatible. You'll need a converter for your iPhone though; on the old 30-pin devices it was just the Camera Connection Kit with the USB port; not sure about Lightning devices.

Oh and while you're at it, get a dock so you can keep the device upright on your desk. I got a generic one for my SGS3 and the USB OTG cable is hooked up to its sync port.

Mismatched colors with the Apple dock and the iPad2, along with a Meier Cantate.2 and HD600

The SGS3, Ibasso D-Zero (the first version), and Aurisonics ASG-1.3

SGS3, Meier Cantate.2, and HD600

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #12 of 13

No need to spend a lot of money, try the Ibasso D-Zero MkII - it's already iOS 7 and Android compatible. You'll need a converter for your iPhone though; on the old 30-pin devices it was just the Camera Connection Kit with the USB port; not sure about Lightning devices.

Oh and while you're at it, get a dock so you can keep the device upright on your desk. I got a generic one for my SGS3 and the USB OTG cable is hooked up to its sync port.

Mismatched colors with the Apple dock and the iPad2, along with a Meier Cantate.2 and HD600

The SGS3, Ibasso D-Zero (the first version), and Aurisonics ASG-1.3

SGS3, Meier Cantate.2, and HD600

Wow!

Nice looking setup!

Does using external headphone amp with iPhone improve the sound quality?

Or would I need DAC as well?

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #13 of 13

Does using external headphone amp with iPhone improve the sound quality?

Or would I need DAC as well?

Devices nowadays don't provide a fixed level line out but they can do digital output via USB (and the required adapters), so just use a one-box DAC-HPamp. For IEMs there isn't going to be a lot improvements, save maybe for more precise volume attenuation, but that one depends on whether your device has too few and your IEMs are too efficient (like my SGS3 driving the ASG-1.3).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back