Recommendations for Portable Amplifiers
Jun 15, 2014 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cyanidesyringes

New Head-Fier
I have been using my trusty iBasso D2+ Boa for more than 3 years now, and I think it may be time to upgrade to a better one as both my headphones and I have been getting increasingly demanding lately. Any recommendations for portable amps/portable tube amps for around the price of 350 USD? 

The former amp I mentioned has served me really well, but recently its been giving me hissing noises, and I can feel that the knobs and screws aren't going to last much longer. I was looking at the Sony PHA-1, and some amps from Ray Samuels... Counting on you guys to give me some reliable advice 
biggrin.gif

Cheers 

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #2 of 4
  I have been using my trusty iBasso D2+ Boa for more than 3 years now, and I think it may be time to upgrade to a better one as both my headphones and I have been getting increasingly demanding lately. Any recommendations for portable amps/portable tube amps for around the price of 350 USD? 

The former amp I mentioned has served me really well, but recently its been giving me hissing noises, and I can feel that the knobs and screws aren't going to last much longer. I was looking at the Sony PHA-1, and some amps from Ray Samuels... Counting on you guys to give me some reliable advice 
biggrin.gif

Cheers 

For around $350 if your looking for a standalone amp and not an amp/dac combo I'd go with either ALO Audio's The National or RSA's P-51 Mustang. 

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 4
$350 = Meier Quickstep.   

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 4
  For around $350 if your looking for a standalone amp and not an amp/dac combo I'd go with either ALO Audio's The National or RSA's P-51 Mustang. 

Well, technically I would prefer for a amp that has a DAC, as most of my lossless music is stored on my notebook. Those amps you mentioned; any particular improvements they will bring to the output? E.g. brighter mids, forward vocals, enlarging the soundstage etc. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back