Recommendations for passive preamp < $300
Apr 27, 2007 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

izquierdaste

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking to try out a passive preamp for my dynaco st-70 stereo amp. I found this ad on ebay for an aural thrills with stepped attenuator for $215 shipped. I am thinking that this is my best bet under $300, but I thought I would see if any of you more knowledgable type had other recommendations.

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aural-Thrills-Au...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for any help,
Brian

Apr 27, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 9
Luminous Audio Axiom Passive Preamp. BEST passive preamp under $300. You can get it customized for your amp. I bought it twice after selling it to upgrade but I couldnt find anything comparable for the money.

Apr 27, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Luminous Audio Axiom Passive Preamp. BEST passive preamp under $300. You can get it customized for your amp. I bought it twice after selling it to upgrade but I couldnt find anything comparable for the money.

x2!

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this is rather OT, but excuse my noobness....what purpose does a passive preamp serve?

Power amps do not have volume knobs. To control the volume, you either use a regular preamplifier or a passive preamplifier. A regular preamplifier actually amplifies the signal coming out of your source while a passive preamplifier does not (to put it simply, it's just a volume knob / attenuator). What you use depends on your specific needs.

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 9
There are two which come to mind.

The first one I do not think will fit into anwhere in your budget, but is an absolute beauty. It is the Audio Synthesis Passion.

The second you could probably find second hand within your budget. It is the Rotel Michi series (it was their higher-end line a while ago). It was the Michi RHB10 or RHC10 if memory serves me.

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 9
Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't even thinking of power amps
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Power amps do not have volume knobs. To control the volume, you either use a regular preamplifier or a passive preamplifier. A regular preamplifier actually amplifies the signal coming out of your source while a passive preamplifier does not (to put it simply, it's just a volume knob / attenuator). What you use depends on your specific needs.

How does this improve the sound? It is analogue only correct?

Apr 27, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for all of the advice. I just assumed that a stepped attenuator would be better for a passive preamp. I also thought the switchable inputs would be fun for comparing dacs. However, the axiom does seem to have a strong following and it is $40 cheaper for the caddock version. I actually like my dynaco preamp and will keep it for vinyl, but the hum during quiet sections is starting to get on my nerves.

As an answer to how passive preamps improve sound quality, they just degrade sound quality less than a cheap preamp would. If I had an integrated amp, I wouldn't need the passive preamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back