Recommendations for over-ear headphones under $150
Jul 18, 2009 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SSS 18734

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for some headphones for a friend with fairly specific criteria.

1) Price range < $150
2) Must be new, purchased on an online store
3) They will be used almost exclusively with an ipod / computer, so I need something that is efficient
4) Solid bass response (he listen mostly to hip-hop)
5) Mids and Highs aren't as important, but they can't be lacking
6) Comfortable to wear for long periods of time
7) Fairly portable
8) Good isolation

I don't know much about headphones, so I was hoping some recommendations would help me get started. Thanks!

Jul 18, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 7
I'm no expert, but to help you narrow down your search you might want to use "closed" as a keyword. Closed simply means the sound is enclosed, as opposed to open where the sound escapes.

If you're looking for isolation then closed is usually best.

I've tried two different kinds and I like them. Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm. However like I said I'm no expert so I can't really compare them against what else is out there. I guess at best it's just two model numbers for you to look into. The Sennheisers you may find to be too tight - I didn't. The BeyerDynamic ones come with awful velour pads which sound good, but quickly soak up sweat and start to smell. I replaced the pads on my BeyerDynamics with JMoney Audio lambskin pads and I'm very happy. I think the Sennheisers have more presence in the bass department than the BeyerDynamics. The Beyers, in my opinion, are "cleaner".

I hope that helps to some degree. Perhaps if you search here for those model numbers you'll find the other ones that compete in the price range.

Jul 18, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 7
Bass is very important to me and I just got the Audio Technica ATH-M50's for $122 from Amazon. They're pretty amazing for the price, with woofer like, tight bass that doesn't sacrifice the mids and highs. I've read reviews on Gearslutz of people who like the M50s better than the HD280's. Everyone here seems to REALLY like Beyerdynamics, though, which I've never heard, so I can't comment on those.

Jul 19, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 7
Do a forum search for Equation RP21. For under $100 they just may give your friend what they want. According to most reviewers bass is very good...certainly is better than the bass in my other hps. Work well with iPod, but they don't fold up real small.

Jul 19, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by cknelson15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass is very important to me and I just got the Audio Technica ATH-M50's for $122 from Amazon. They're pretty amazing for the price, with woofer like, tight bass that doesn't sacrifice the mids and highs. I've read reviews on Gearslutz of people who like the M50s better than the HD280's. Everyone here seems to REALLY like Beyerdynamics, though, which I've never heard, so I can't comment on those.

Heh, most people tend to dislike the 770 and opt for the 880 or the 990. Equation's are good, M-Audio Q40 also supposedly has what you want, but I haven't heard them. dbi Pro705 had some BIG bass, you might be able to find them on EBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back