Recommendations for over-ear headphones - to be used for gaming, music and movies. Budget £250
Mar 2, 2014 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jimmmUK

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi members, I am a new poster here and looking for your recommendations on a pair of headphones please. I am by no means an audiophile, but I do appreciate quality - which is why I'm here for advise 
normal_smile .gif

I am looking to buy some headphones that will be used mainly for gaming, but also for music and movies. The headphones will be mainly plugged into a MixAmp Pro (to be used with my PS4), but I would also like the option for them to plug directly into my iMac and iPhone 5 without the need for an amp.

In an ideal situation, I would like the headphones to not leak too much sound and to isolate sound from me. I also want the headphones to be comfortable, as they will be used for long stints. Portability would be a plus point, but it is not a deal breaker. My tastes in music are very varied, from rock to EDM, and therefore it is hard to pin point any specific sound needs - especially when considering these need to be very good all-rounders, as they have varying uses!

As with any product I buy, my budget always tends to get larger the more I research! My budget initially started out at £150, but is now at £250. 

I've been researching for quite a while now, and the Sennheiser Momentums are probably the front runners in my search at the moment. However, I have recently found myself straying away from my ideal headphone needs above, and nearly purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD 600s yesterday - which is why I thought I better ask for advise sooner rather than later. I have read http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-2-20-2014-boompro-list-chicoloms-faq-added - but with my needs not just being gaming, I didn't want to restrict my options. 

Thanks in advance for any help - it is much appreciated. 

Mar 2, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 8
Open: HD598, maybe MA900 (I haven't heard them yet). I'm not sure what's good for gaming.

Closed: SRH840, but only if you're willing to mod the headband. I didn't try it with EDM, but it certainly works for everything else. Still I think you'd want something more neutral for movies, where speech is important. A more neutral model that I haven't tried yet is HP50.

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #3 of 8
Thank you for your advice Claritas. 

I believe neutral is important due to my wide range of needs - which is one reason I was drawn to the Sennheiser HD 600s. However, open headphones leak a lot of sound out and let a lot of sound in - which is what originally stopped me clicking the buy button. 

I'm not really looking to do any mods to be honest. What make are the HP250s you mentioned? Google is bringing up a cheap (£15) pair of Philips headphones with that model name. 

Anything else I should be looking at?

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 8
Would something like the new Sennheiser HD8 DJ or the V-Moda Crossfade M-100 be suited to my needs?

My usage split will be:
- Gaming: 60%
- Music: 30%
- Movies: 10%

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #7 of 8
In the end I bought the Sennheiser HD600 headphones for home use. 

I am also going to get the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II headphones for my portable needs and also for when I need isolation in and out the house. 

BUDGET BLOWN!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back