Recommendations for open cans...
Nov 30, 2019 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

schneller

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of open back cans. I find my head/ears get too hot too fast with closed cans. I'm a hot head!

My priorities:

-Comfort over long periods of time (a few hours maybe).

-Mids forward, maybe slightly warm. But shouldn't skimp on the treble or bass. But please nothing too fatiguing.

-Desktop/PC/in-home/general use from casual listening to gaming to video editing. Also, something that my wife will be using.

-Likely to be paired with a Schiit Fulla 3 (or Hel or Asgard3 Multibit but most likely with a Fulla 3).

-Music I listen to? A lot of uplifting vocal trance but also indie rock (Andrew Bird), folk, and some classical/soundtrack scores. A variety really.

Budget: well, I'd appreciate a variety of suggestions at a variety of price points...

(Edit: I've never been a huge fan of the Sennheiser veil.)

Cost as no object?
$1k
$500
$250
$150-$200
$100-150

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 20
I'm looking for a pair of open back cans. I find my head/ears get too hot too fast with closed cans. I'm a hot head!

My priorities:

-Mids forward, maybe slightly warm. But shouldn't skimp on the treble or bass. But please nothing too fatiguing.

-Desktop/PC/in-home/general use from casual listening to gaming to video editing. Also, something that my wife will be using.

-Likely to be paired with a Schiit Fulla 3 (or Hel or Asgard3 Multibit but most likely with a Fulla 3).

-Music I listen to? A lot of uplifting vocal trance but also indie rock (Andrew Bird), folk, and some classical/soundtrack scores. A variety really.

Budget: well, I'd appreciate a variety of suggestions at a variety of price points...

EDIT: See below

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 20
Some options that have caught my attention:

AKG 712 Pro
Audio Technica AD700X/AD900X
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
Grado SR80e/SR225e
Philips Fidelio X2HR

Again, looking for great all-rounders but also pretty good at IDM, open cans, that pair well with a Fulla3.

Nov 30, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 20

My priorities:

Grado RS1e with Headphile C-Pads

Some options that have caught my attention:

AKG 712 Pro

Relatively low sensitivity

Audio Technica AD700X/AD900X

Might not be the sound you're looking for.

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Not sure if this is better ventilated vs Grados, even with C-Pads

Grado SR80e/SR225e

You might feel like the low end isn't even there, apart from the kick in the percussion.

Philips Fidelio X2HR

It's a low impedance alternative to the HD650 for those who want to use soundcards or USB-powered DAC-HPamps.

Nov 30, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 20
Thanks. Should I interpret your last comment as a glowing endorsement of the X2HR?

As I read more, it might be coming down to the X2 or AKG 712 Pro with a Schiit Fulla 3. That said, it seems like an Asgard 3 would be more appropriate for a 712 from what I can tell.

Nov 30, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 20
How about throwing the HD6XX into the mix?

Nov 30, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 20
Thanks. Should I interpret your last comment as a glowing endorsement of the X2HR?

Not if you think the Sennheiser veil actually even exists across the board...which is precisely why I described it that way.

As I read more, it might be coming down to the X2 or AKG 712 Pro with a Schiit Fulla 3. That said, it seems like an Asgard 3 would be more appropriate for a 712 from what I can tell.

Based on what you've said the K712 with the Asgard 3 would be better but personally probably still a wee bit behind the Grado RS1e or RS2e.

Nov 30, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 20
Well, I don't think the veil is necessarily universal. From what I'm reading about the HD6XX, it seems to be a jack of all trades headphone?

Nov 30, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 20
The HD650 is the most commonly associated with the idea even though it didn't start there, then the HD6XX is basically that in a different finish.

I'm a little confused :)

The HD650/HD6XX are most commonly associated with the veil or as "jack of all trades" headphones?

Nov 30, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #11 of 20
I'm a little confused :)

The HD650/HD6XX are most commonly associated with the veil or as "jack of all trades" headphones?

"Jack of all Trades" by those who like them, "jack of all trades master of none" by those who choose the compromises with those vs something else, like better smaller soundstage if less finicky with amplifiers (as in the case of the K70x).

"Dark and too polite" ie the "epitome of the Sennheiser veil" by those who actually believe there's a Sennheiser veil, spanning from those who'd never buy them to those who buy them and then remove the protective fabric over the drivers.

Nov 30, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #12 of 20
So K712 vs. HD6XX: which gets your vote for EDM/female vocal trance?

Nov 30, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #13 of 20
So K712 vs. HD6XX: which gets your vote for EDM/female vocal trance?

What I would use: HD6XX

What I would recommend to somebody "not a fan of the Sennheiser veil," wants "Mids forward, maybe slightly warm. But shouldn't skimp on the treble or bass. But please nothing too fatiguing," and not hot to wear at least compared to other headphones: Maybe Grado RS1e or RS2e, maybe RS2i if you can find it cheap

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #14 of 20
Grado GH3, GH4 or RS2e. The GH4 and RS2e have comparable sound quality. The RS2e has a more revealing treble, GH4 has more bass power. The GH3 is a bit below these two but more comfortable due to the soft pads.
I definitely consider the HD 650 and 6XX veiled.

Dec 1, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #15 of 20
What I would use: HD6XX

What I would recommend to somebody "not a fan of the Sennheiser veil," wants "Mids forward, maybe slightly warm. But shouldn't skimp on the treble or bass. But please nothing too fatiguing," and not hot to wear at least compared to other headphones: Maybe Grado RS1e or RS2e, maybe RS2i if you can find it cheap

Funny enough I think I'm leaning 58X, currently $135 on MD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back