Recommendations for next open cans !
May 4, 2016 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

redkop

New Head-Fier
Any advice for my next headphone would be appreciated,I have no stores around to test any cans so rely pretty much on the old interweb thingy :)

I am after an open or 'large soundstage' closed headphone to replace my 1840's

Budget is up to about $/£400 maybe a little more.

I really liked the sound from the 1840's but I am looking for something with a little bit more bass and extension without a mid bass boost,mids need to be similar to the 1840's and highs slightly less boosted in the 2-3k range but with good clarity.
So basically a warm side of neutral but with excellent mids and good but not sibilant highs (I'm slightly sensitive to harshness)
An open airy soundstage is also a must.
And a good fit for smaller heads !
I currently use my Soundmagic HP100's as my closed set and really like that sound !

I will be:

Using my home setup and also the DX80 as sources.

Listening to Classical,Acoustic,Classic Rock,Ambient Electronic and quite a bit of Female Vocal.

I have researched a few possibilities ...

Hifiman 400 series (i or s)
Fidelio X2 but worried about mid bass thump? and Gibson quality ?
AKG 712 Pro but I have a small head :p are these a better fit than the K701's which were too big for me?
Nad Viso HP50 Closed but is 'Room Feel' any substitute for open cans?
Audio Technica ATH-R70X

What do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

Thanks !

May 4, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #2 of 5
  So basically a warm side of neutral but with excellent mids and good but not sibilant highs (I'm slightly sensitive to harshness)

You should consider the Sennheiser HD650

-------------------------------------------

K712 is pretty much the same as K701
(detachable cable, different earpads, different headband, but still the same big headphone you already know)

Fidelios are fun sounding headphones, big bass and present treble. Lovely finish.
Sound is pleasing but lacks refinement next to DT880/HD6x0/K7--

Both R70x and He-400i might do the trick for you.
Not sure about the fit.

May 4, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #3 of 5
  You should consider the Sennheiser HD650

K712 is pretty much the same as K701
(detachable cable, different earpads, different headband, but still the same big headphone you already know)

Fidelios are fun sounding headphones, big bass and present treble. Lovely finish.
Sound is pleasing but lacks refinement next to DT880/HD6x0/K7--

Both R70x and He-400i might do the trick for you.
Not sure about the fit.

Thanks,

I had the HD600 but found them a little too laid back and not great for female vocals although for classical they were great. So I am a little worried about the 650's being more relaxed in the mids. I was never really happy with them tbh,I do like clear mids and that is why I kept the 1840's for so long,I just find the mids of them almost perfect,if they had a touch more bass and a little less 2-3k peak they would be perfect for me! I know there's no perfect headphone but I just want to keep searching :)

Sounds like the K712 is out of the running and the X2's might have a bit too much bass !

Tempted by the R70x or 400i but as you say I am not sure about the fit,which one has the deeper bass without mid-bass hump?

May 4, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #4 of 5
  Tempted by the R70x or 400i but as you say I am not sure about the fit,which one has the deeper bass without mid-bass hump?

HE-400i

May 4, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 5
  HE-400i

Really tempted by the HE-400i, can anyone advise if these would be good for a smaller sized head? I have the HP-100 and GMP400 and they are just about ok, K7xx/550 are too big.
Also a bit worried regarding HE-400i soundstage, reviews tend to mention it's not large but if it's decent I don't mind so much,can anyone comment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back