Recommendations for Newbie Headphones
Mar 3, 2006 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mpt

New Head-Fier
I am looking for some headphones that will be primarily used for watching movies / tv (on the PC) and will occasionally be used with a portable mp3 player. I've read so many good things about the Grado SR60 and 80s but i've also heard that for movies they aren't that good,

"They are a great listening headphone, but not a very good movie headphone as there is no sound stage. Thus you won't be able to hear a villian creep up to the protanganst, or you won't hear a car drive accross your screen. It doesn't necessarily detract from the movie experience, but it would be nice to have."

What headphones would you recommend for my use? Price wise, I don't really want to spend more than 100USD as the Grados are about 130 CAD here in Canada

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 8
For the exact same price as the SR60...you can get the Senn HD 485 from Headphone.com for $69 now (it's on sale). Nice soundstage, punchy and strong bass, and seriously comfortable (rather more so than the SR60). Overall, I think it has excellent sound quality for a <$100 headphone, and is a good intro to what serious headphones can do.

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 8
As a newbie myself I would recommend either the Koss KSC75 ear clips or the SportaPro headset. Both are widely agreed to be underpriced for what they are (each are around $20) and they have a lot of fans here on the board as good all around entry phones.

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyoel182
As a newbie myself I would recommend either the Koss KSC75 ear clips or the SportaPro headset. Both are widely agreed to be underpriced for what they are (each are around $20) and they have a lot of fans here on the board as good all around entry phones.

While the Koss stuff is very good for the price, I think you can do much better on a $69 budget. If the ceiling was $50, I'd agree that they would be top choices along with the PX 100.

Mar 5, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 8
I've read lots of reviews and I would like your opinions.

The PX100 are quite popular for being a really entry level headphone. Since i'm looking for a headphone that is quite versatile, would you choose the PX100 or HD555, Grado SR60 or SR80 or the A500. I dont have an amp and will be using an ipod and PC for most of its use (50% music and 50% movies/tv/games respectively). It will occasionally be hooked up to the TV as well.

Thanks for the help!

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mpt
I've read lots of reviews and I would like your opinions.

The PX100 are quite popular for being a really entry level headphone. Since i'm looking for a headphone that is quite versatile, would you choose the PX100 or HD555, Grado SR60 or SR80 or the A500. I dont have an amp and will be using an ipod and PC for most of its use (50% music and 50% movies/tv/games respectively). It will occasionally be hooked up to the TV as well.

Thanks for the help!

For home use, I would generally take the HD 555. It's a great all rounder. Unless you need a closed headphone which doesn't leak, in which case pick the A500. I would pick the PX100 for portable use.

I am not so sure about Grados and games/movies, though it sounds great with some music.

Mar 6, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 8
Sony MDR-v6s are easy to drive for mp3 player use, are closed type so they won't leak sound and have a soundstage present even if its not the best one. They're also thin, lightweight and comfortable to use.

Mar 6, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 8
Try the link in my sig, it's got lots of great options for first headphones, with full pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back