Recommendations for my situation....
Dec 15, 2007 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

vivaultra

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I'm in a band that is about to start touring nationwide. I am going to have to be flying alot also. When we are in the van they always blare the music...while i am trying to listen to my playlist on my ipod.

so...i am looking for some 30-50$ noise canceling headphones in ear or over ear.

was looking at these

Buy the JVC HA-FX66R Noise-Canceling Earbuds and other Headphones at circuitcity.com

any advice?

Dec 15, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 9
You will find most here think noise cancelling is another silly gimmick that uses more battery and $30 is too low of a budget to find any at the retail level. Most high-end stuff is the straight dope stuff with a wire !

I would go with either one of these for your use and budget:

Koss KSC75
Koss Porta Pro
Senn PX100

Dec 15, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 9
Some noise canceling headphones work surprisingly well for the specific task, but you will have a hard time finding a pair for $30-50. They usually sell for $100+.

IEM's like the ones you link to work well as well. But they don't cancel noise in any way, they just physically block sound out as a result of their construction.

Dec 15, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 9
If you're about to start gigging regularly you might want to look into a decent pair of IEMs for on stage anyway, which you could then use on the plane/in the bus.

Dec 15, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 9
Yes, you might want to look into some IEMs, maybe the etymotic er-6i, they're around $75, and have great sound and block out sound like earplugs, cuz they even come with foam tips in the shape of earplugs.

Dec 15, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 9
If you jump up a bit to the $150 ish range, you can find headphones that do double duty and work in the studio, too.

This will have the added bonus of letting you get very familiar with how they sound, and make creation easier.

Senneiser HD25's, Beyerdynamic dt-770 and dt-250 are three cans that are relatively proven in the studio, can sound great with consumer gear like ipods, and isolate pretty well (passive noise reduction).

However, if you're in a small space with blaring music, you're better off getting nice earplugs and dealing with it - if you try and compete with loud stereos you'll just damage your ears, isolation or not.

Dec 16, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 9
ATM, my fav Canal/IEM-ish phones are the HA-FX66's. They block out sound quite well, and sound awesome. Great bass extention (subbass) and bass, not muddy, but clean. Nice mids & highs, not harsh or sibilant.

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #9 of 9
Koss KSC75
Koss Porta Pro
Senn PX100

I really like the PortaPros and the PX100s, and the KSC75's might be the bang for the buck champions on Head-Fi ... but to drown out the noise around you, you would have to turn the volume up so high that it would soon jeopardize your music career.

As mentioned above, the Ety ER6i's isolate as well as one could reasonably hope for, and they even could serve as earplugs with no sound turned on. Save your hearing, and use some kind of isolating in-ear earphones. Lots of canal phones fit in the ear but don't isolate as much as the "true" IEMs with flanged or foamie ear sleeves.

Try to justify the expense for some kind of IEMs, up-front. Good luck!

PS: Flying occasionally is a nuisance these days. Flying a lot must be grueling. So see if you can get IEMs. I make several cross-country (U.S.) flights a year, and I have gotten to the point that I have to have a pair of noise blocking Etymotics ER6i's or Future Sonics Atrio M5s with me, plus an inexpensive pair of Creative EP630 canal phones for back-ups (I'm that addicted!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back